The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 AM

clanier is on a distinguished road
Default Opinion on St Croix Avid vs. Imperial 5wt & 4wt

I am trying to decide on whether it is worth it to pay an extra $100 each for the Avid vs. going with the Imperial..I hear good things about both. I'm hearing that the Imperial is fast action and Avid is a Moderate to Fast...What are your experiences?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Opinion on St Croix Avid vs. Imperial 5wt & 4wt

Although you will hear this from other folks here, it would depend on your casting stroke. I have (2) Avids. One is 4wt and I love casting that rod. I use it as my backup to my trout rods. The other is a 7wt that I have yet to cast (just got everything together to string it up, if I can get the weather to cooperate).

I also have (2) Imperials, although they are older models, not the current model. One is an older 2wt that casts nicely, although it feels a little slower than my 5wt. The 5wt is the very first fly rod I ever bought. It's been around the barn awhile as I bought it used. It feels a little stiff.

I can cast both, but you will tell a definate difference. If I HAD to choose, I'd have to lean toward the Avid. Just slow things down and let the rod do the work....
Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a review on the Imperial

Fly Rod Review: St. Croix Imperial Fly Rods - MidCurrent
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Those are two really good rods, and in my opinion, they both represent some of the best bang for your buck in the fly rod market.

Two very different rods though. The Is designed to be a fast action rod, while the Avid is a medium action rod. They feel quite different. As long you like the way the rod feels, you won't go wrong with either of these rods. Good warranty also.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM

clanier is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response...I tried the 4 wt Helios from Orvis and really liked it...I felt that it was quite fast so I'm hoping that the Imperial would be similar..I know we're talking about a high end rod vs. a low end. My other rods have been fast to moderate and I am a bit used to a little "play" in the rod...which would you say will enable me to provide a more delicate presentation for small dry flies for trout?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at St. Croix's site, and the 9' 5wt Imperial is listed as weighing
2.8oz! The 9' 5wt Avid is 3.6oz. That's really a big weight difference, assuming it's not all in the handle. I've owned the new IPC Avid, and the old
Imperial. Both are fine rods, but I have zero experience with the new Imperial.
I do have lots of experience with other St. Croix models, and they're all good.
St. Croix does have the integrity to state clearly where each of these rods
is made, and that's great.