The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:10 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Just got my first bamboo rod in the mail yesterday! (pics)

So last year, a friend of the family had let me cast a bamboo rod for the first time. I have grown up on graphite and my father never had a bamboo rod, so I had just never been around one. After casting for a couple of minutes, I was in love. The effortless motion and amazing feel and response were unlike anything I had ever experienced. I guess for $1500, it should feel that way, huh? Anyways, I did not/could not pay for one of the higher priced rods, but needed bamboo in my arsenal, so I started searching the net, and low and behold, I found a maker of rods located in Michigan: Mr. Shane Gray of Graywolf Fly Rods. His prices seemed good enough, but, on the web, you have to be wary of "you get what you pay for." So I called him and, I just have to say, what a knowledgable gentleman. Since I had never designed any rod from scratch, he walked me through piece by piece, my preferences. When I was done, the final bill was $500. A BARGAIN for what I am sitting next to right now. It took a little less than a month to create and he called me throughout the process and let me know how it was going, sent me pictures, double checked preferences before completing it. It came int eh mail just yesterday. This rod is a work of art! Every detail is amazing. The finish is flawless. The coloring is exquisite. But, all of that means nothing if it can't cast. It would just be a piece of art to be put on a wall. To preface my rod collection: I have 8 Sage SPs of differing weight and pieces, two Sage XPs, a Sage RPLXi, a Winston IM6 and a rod from a now closed company, Catskill Research, which is a wonderful two piece. I have cast many others including my family friend's Winston bamboo rod. None of them compare to the rod Mr. Gray constructed for me. It is a Payne 100 taper 7'6" 4 wt. 2pc/2tip and it is a dream to cast. Now, for those who are considering buying from Mr. Gray, I can't promise the price I received, because he does work with fly shops around the world, making his rods, but he is very easy to work with and accomodating. Anyways, I just wanted to share my joy with people who appreciate it and my wife, mother and 2 month old infant son don't quite understand my excitement the way you ladies and gentlemen would.

-Don

P.S. Here is the website so you don't have to seach: Home Page

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Just got my first bamboo rod in the mail yesterday! (pics)

Boy that is nice for the price!....like the detailed work; shows class.

I'm like you and couldn't justify the price of the higher end ones, but then I'm broke and unemployed right now and couldn't even swing the one you got?

"...But if I did have an extra 500 sitting around I might be inclined?"

I was about to ask for the link, but then saw it. Went over there and nice stuff for sure!

Moe
Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just got my first bamboo rod in the mail yesterday! (pics)

Yeah, it was tough for me to justify spending money on a new rod also, but I had been saving since the summer in "my" checking account.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

congratulations sir! Enjoy that rod for years to come.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Congradulations Maccadon,

You are in for a real treat.

Get some rubber vacuum tube caps from the auto parts
store and cap the female ferrules to keep sand particles and gunk out after you break down the rod.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Congradulations Maccadon,

You are in for a real treat.

Get some rubber vacuum tube caps from the auto parts
store and cap the female ferrules to keep sand particles and gunk out after you break down the rod.

Cheers,
Jim
What do you mean rubber vacuum tube caps? Sorry, not an auto guy. Thanks Jim.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Sorry it took me so long to get back. They are just little rubber caps that are used to seal off the male fittings in vacuum ports that are not being used in car engines.

Scroll down the page here and you will see them. Soft plastic or rubber. They are very cheap.

Seals_GA_Miscellaneous Components

Here are a couple pics. One with the original turned ferrule plugs (cork on a stick) and the second with a vinyl cap, which would work just as well - and not cause any hard thinking if it gets lost.

]Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 03-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM

Wow, thank you so much. Will do.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful rod....love the colour!!