The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM

beerbrewer is on a distinguished road
Default Who puts on your line?

Do you folks put the backer and line on your reels yourself or do you take it too a tackle shop?

Unfortunately for me Sports Authority and Dicks did in all the little guys and now the closest sports shop that has any fly fishing eqp is about an hour away. Sadly they aren't that big into fly fishing and don't have a lot to choose from. I used Sports Authority to put line on my surf casting reel and the knuckle head put the line on too loose and I ended up with a nightmare.

Should I buy off the web and attempt it myself or drive the hour?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who puts on your line?

I always do it myself. It's not that hard. Take the empty reel, and attach the fly end of the line to the spool with a piece of masking tape. reel the line on till you get to the backing end. attach the backing and reel it on till you get the reel as full as you want it. cut the backing. then in a big area, I start in my hall and work my way into the living room, pull it off and put it in big S's on the floor till you get it all off. go back to the end of the backing and arbor knot it to the reel and wind it all back on the right direction this time. Done. You can do it in stripping baskets too, but it can tangle with a lot of backing. I think it's easier to do on the floor. I trust my knots too. Just because someone works in a fly shop, does not mean he can tie a good knot. Still you should support the fly shops so you don't end up driving two hours to one. I have to drive 5 1/2 hours to the nearest real fly shop.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a brand new spool bent on those massive winders at one shop, but
one fly shop does a great job (and they don't charge a dime, even if you
didn't buy the reel or line there!!!). The rest of the shops I've tried all put the
line on loosely; too little; sloppy; etc. I buy what I need, and wind it myself.
I attach the reel to a butt section, and then add tension and direction with
my hand just past the cork. I suppose running the line under a phone book
would add enough tension as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I put my line on myself. It is pretty darn easy.

If you don't feel comfortable setting up your own rig, go visit the outfitter.

MP
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

I just set up some new reels myself recently after years of relying on my old friend/guru or fly shop. There is a learning curve here that the ever so wise Senior Members may not remember. I had fun learning - and have a couple of reels that I am (sort of) looking forward to testing by getting a fish into the backing! It is empowering to be able to set your self up. I got a ton of help here, and from my old pal, and trial and error was helpful too. In the end I've learned a lot - So go for it - learn to set your reels up yourself.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 02-25-2010, 01:37 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i put on line myself or have the people at sportmans warehouse do it. i prefer to have them do it because it comes out all nice and even. one time i did have my local fly shop do it. line and his services were $18. I do recall one of my first time doing it. i spooled it backwards. backing and fly line. Only had to do that once to learn my lesson
Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I can not believe a shop would charge for this. I have always offered this as a free service. even when i worked at a orvis store it was free, even if you did not buy from us. I do a free leader attachment also.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-25-2010, 07:26 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I think I started to learn the most when I stopped relying on ppl to do things for me. I honestly knowing all of the working parts of your equipment can only help.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

do you have any spare spools? I use a spare spool (of the same size) and do as was mentioned before-- line, then backing to the fullness desired. I will then reverse it all onto the spool/ reel to be used.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi beerbrewer,

If I buy the line and backing from a shop I would expect them to wind it on my reel for free. If I walked into a shop with a reel, line and backing that I bought somewhere else then I would expect to pay for the job.

If you are unsure about your ability to put on the line and backing and don't know what knots to use, then it may be better to take it to a fly shop. If you have to go to a non-fly shop they may not know any more about what to do than you do. It is an easy job and it gives you a chance to learn the knots and know it is done correctly. NAFFF members can give you all the information you need to wrap it your self and I would go for it.

Frank