Who puts on your line?

beerbrewer

Reaction score
Do you folks put the backer and line on your reels yourself or do you take it too a tackle shop?

Unfortunately for me Sports Authority and Dicks did in all the little guys and now the closest sports shop that has any fly fishing eqp is about an hour away. Sadly they aren't that big into fly fishing and don't have a lot to choose from. I used Sports Authority to put line on my surf casting reel and the knuckle head put the line on too loose and I ended up with a nightmare.

Should I buy off the web and attempt it myself or drive the hour?

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I always do it myself. It's not that hard. Take the empty reel, and attach the fly end of the line to the spool with a piece of masking tape. reel the line on till you get to the backing end. attach the backing and reel it on till you get the reel as full as you want it. cut the backing. then in a big area, I start in my hall and work my way into the living room, pull it off and put it in big S's on the floor till you get it all off. go back to the end of the backing and arbor knot it to the reel and wind it all back on the right direction this time. Done. You can do it in stripping baskets too, but it can tangle with a lot of backing. I think it's easier to do on the floor. I trust my knots too. Just because someone works in a fly shop, does not mean he can tie a good knot. Still you should support the fly shops so you don't end up driving two hours to one. I have to drive 5 1/2 hours to the nearest real fly shop.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I've had a brand new spool bent on those massive winders at one shop, but
one fly shop does a great job (and they don't charge a dime, even if you
didn't buy the reel or line there!!!). The rest of the shops I've tried all put the
line on loosely; too little; sloppy; etc. I buy what I need, and wind it myself.
I attach the reel to a butt section, and then add tension and direction with
my hand just past the cork. I suppose running the line under a phone book
would add enough tension as well.

Noiso

Reaction score
I just set up some new reels myself recently after years of relying on my old friend/guru or fly shop. There is a learning curve here that the ever so wise Senior Members may not remember. I had fun learning - and have a couple of reels that I am (sort of) looking forward to testing by getting a fish into the backing! It is empowering to be able to set your self up. I got a ton of help here, and from my old pal, and trial and error was helpful too. In the end I've learned a lot - So go for it - learn to set your reels up yourself.

thonyb

Reaction score
i put on line myself or have the people at sportmans warehouse do it. i prefer to have them do it because it comes out all nice and even. one time i did have my local fly shop do it. line and his services were $18. I do recall one of my first time doing it. i spooled it backwards. backing and fly line. Only had to do that once to learn my lesson:)

sandfly

Reaction score
I can not believe a shop would charge for this. I have always offered this as a free service. even when i worked at a orvis store it was free, even if you did not buy from us. I do a free leader attachment also.

fishtacos

Reaction score
I think I started to learn the most when I stopped relying on ppl to do things for me. I honestly knowing all of the working parts of your equipment can only help.

raindogt

Reaction score
do you have any spare spools? I use a spare spool (of the same size) and do as was mentioned before-- line, then backing to the fullness desired. I will then reverse it all onto the spool/ reel to be used.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi beerbrewer,

If I buy the line and backing from a shop I would expect them to wind it on my reel for free. If I walked into a shop with a reel, line and backing that I bought somewhere else then I would expect to pay for the job.

If you are unsure about your ability to put on the line and backing and don't know what knots to use, then it may be better to take it to a fly shop. If you have to go to a non-fly shop they may not know any more about what to do than you do. It is an easy job and it gives you a chance to learn the knots and know it is done correctly. NAFFF members can give you all the information you need to wrap it your self and I would go for it.

Frank

raindogt

Reaction score
After Franks reply, I realized that I likely left out the most important info-- Knots... I use Albright knot to connect backing to fly line (google: albright knot--) there will be a dozen demos on how to tie it-- might even find some animations... I just checked the animations on orvis' website and the albright wasn't part of the animations.....

Hope this helps.

beerbrewer

Reaction score
Truthfully I'm not worried about the knots, I have those down. However I was told that it isn't easy to put backer on a fly reel. Why I'm not sure, it seems fairly simple, as long as the backer is kept tight. I've put on line on many other reals before without issue, just not a fly real.

raindogt

Reaction score
You got the knots down-- that's the hard part-- go for it. Also-- if you have a 100 yd. spool of backing, you could probably just wrap that on and then wrap your line.... Doing the 2 steps (fly line, then backing to desired fullness, then stripping it off to wind it the right way (backing first) ) probably isn't even necessary, as most modern spools are designed to hopld 100 yds. backing and then the fly line.) To keep things tensioned, I just put spool in reel and pinch line between fingers while cranking it in....

moe b

Reaction score

eh, having the shop guy do it aint always best either, unless you recognize him as having worked there a while:rolleyes:?

When I first started at a shop I was clueless how to operate the thing and even after a couple tutorials it was still hit or miss. Not wanting to appear as dim as I was I just learned it on my own large-arbor to small; and oh heavens who knows how many guys walked outa there with half-baked knots tied here or there, some not at all if the phone rang, and a couple times just when I was feeling over-confident and pressed the gas pedal a little too hard; the bloody things would fly right off the machine and roll across the floor?!

:doh:

I'm a lot better at it now having done it a million times, but boy there were some days when I wondered 'if guys ever went into their backing; it was likely the fish took their line with them?'

Moe:upset:

mojo

Reaction score
When Joni worked for Orvis, she/they'd spool it up for free. You'd have to pay for backing is all- I'm not aware of any shop in Utah, Idaho or Montana that doesn't charge for backing. After all it's a commodity.
Now she does it for me and her. She puts the line on first, then the backing. That gives a perfect amount of backing. Unspool it and wind it on the correct way. But we also have one of those easy winder gizmos. Makes it a whole lot easier.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I just do it myself. all you need to learn is 4 knots. the arbor knot to put your backing on the reel then after you reel on your backing use a albright knot to connect your fly line to your backing then wind on your fly line then add your leader with a nail knot and then add on your fly with a improved clinch and go fish.

rickf

Reaction score
When Joni worked for Orvis, she/they'd spool it up for free. You'd have to pay for backing is all- I'm not aware of any shop in Utah, Idaho or Montana that doesn't charge for backing. After all it's a commodity.
Now she does it for me and her. She puts the line on first, then the backing. That gives a perfect amount of backing. Unspool it and wind it on the correct way. But we also have one of those easy winder gizmos. Makes it a whole lot easier.
I purchased three outfits from Orvis, and they put the backing on for free. Must have been Joni because they did a excellent job with excellent knots! Since then I've changed things a hundred times, and I can also do a excellent job myself.