The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough
Question Spiked wading shoes

I've fished with felt soles for over fifty years and I really like them. Maryland just said I can't use them anymore. On the Gunpowder that won't matter, but in Western maryland it sure will.

Do spiked bottom boots grip as well as felts? Seems like on rocks they'd be as worthless as spiked snow tires on concrete.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spiked wading shoes

They do serve their purpose and some swear by them (I think more swear at them...) I switched to the new rubber soles and really like them. I haven't yet decided on putting studs in the soles, but then I wade carefully with a wading staff and haven't had one problem with them thus far. This year I've had no problems because I still can't get out on the water due to surgery, sigh...

Kelly.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

I use a set of studs from Simms on my rubber soled boots.

I am a big proponant of rubber soles, but I will also be the first to say, they DO NOT grip like felt, especially in big water.

I know I'm addicted
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been doing a lot of reading on the different soles with and without steel/aluminum cleats and (my opinion only) the boots with good sole flex combined with proper cleat placement will stand out from the rest. I think Orvis has the best cleat placement and suggest copying their design.

The boots with a good sole flex appear to have the ability to slightly wrap around a rock giving you more surface contact. If your cleats are placed in the middle of the sole your contact is reduced to the size of the cleat only. Cleats that remind you of a bunch of bb's welded together can't grip as well because they will crush the stone as opposed to a sharp edge that can slightly penetrate without crushing.

As I see it the flexing sole gives more surface contact and the sharp cleats on the perimeter dig in and hold you in place.

Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

You're right about this being a potential issue in western Maryland, as the use of lime dosers in certain sections of the North Branch of the Potomac and now in tributaries of the Savage makes all footing extremely slippery. The lime is added to neutralize tributary water carrying acid runoff from mining operations. I would go with the best spikes your boots can take, as anyone who has tried to walk on a hard surface with wet lime knows it's like trying to walk on ice. Felt gave some relief, but as the OP states, Maryland now has a felt ban on all its waters.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Go with the rubber and the studs. Right now VA doesn't restrict felt ...but I suspect felt is seeing it's end.
In anticipation I bought a set of Korker soles with the rubber and cleats and use them all year in lieu of my felt w/studs...other than a bit more noisy they were almost as good as the felt with cleats.
You just have to be a bit more careful when crossing rocks. The softer the rubber the better the grip...but not as good as felt.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I have been doing a lot of reading on the different soles with and without steel/aluminum cleats and (my opinion only) the boots with good sole flex combined with proper cleat placement will stand out from the rest. I think Orvis has the best cleat placement and suggest copying their design.

The boots with a good sole flex appear to have the ability to slightly wrap around a rock giving you more surface contact. If your cleats are placed in the middle of the sole your contact is reduced to the size of the cleat only. Cleats that remind you of a bunch of bb's welded together can't grip as well because they will crush the stone as opposed to a sharp edge that can slightly penetrate without crushing.

As I see it the flexing sole gives more surface contact and the sharp cleats on the perimeter dig in and hold you in place.

Dave
Thanks Dave, that is NEW information. Not hear/read that option before. Off to Google.
Fred