The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/128120-paging-mosca-pescador-switch-rod-cleanup-aisle.html)

axle27 04-19-2011 01:52 PM

Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle

MP (and anyone else who will listen),

I finally have most of what I need for a switch rod setup. Not exactly what I specified before, but I hope it works:

11ft Elkhorn 5/6 switch
Allen & Co. Trout 7/8
backing (compliments of my buddy Ard)
350gr Ballistic Spey Line by Snake River outfitters (this was recommended directly from Elkhorn for both spey and overhead casting as the head is only 35ft long)

The question I have is: I got a 5ft tapered furled leader for 7/8 with a small swivel. Can I use a 3ft section of TI-6 sinking tip (it is of no brand, just something I picked up a few years ago and never used) between the line and the furled leader via loop to loop?

I'm thinking 3ft TI-6, 5ft of tapered leader, 2ft of flouro tippet is 10ft. Not quite 11ft, but it's close.

If not, what do you suggest?

Bigfly 04-19-2011 03:07 PM

Re: Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle

Axel, there are almost too many variables in the question, to even reply.
Every fisherman has preferences they discover through casting a setup.
A commenter would need to own, or hold that exact combination of rod, line, etc.
Even then, their style of casting may reflect prejudices, or habits you don't have.
It sounds to me like you are good to go.
After a while, most guys start building lines to fit the rod, and change to fit the water they fish. Avoiding the loop to loop thing.
I build loop to loops for big spring flows, and it works fine.
It just works better without the extra drag.
I can't address the furled leader thing (7/8).
Right now, I'd say go wet a line.
Take a marker along to indicate where the line should be, to cast for your comfort.
I'm not MR Spey, but I couldn't leave you hanging either.
We await Dennis.
Enjoy;

Jim

axle27 04-20-2011 07:26 AM

bump to the top

MoscaPescador 04-20-2011 09:24 AM

I never tried a furled leader on a Spey line, but I'd probably skip it. There might be too much hinge. Feel free to experiment.

I think that the Ballistic Spey line that you have is a Scandi integrated line. You are probably best off with a 10 foot polyleader plus a few feet of tippet.

Dennis

fredaevans 04-20-2011 11:52 AM

Off a full on dry line a furled leader will work fine; several folks commercially make them for that purposes. Off a sink tip, doubt you want to go there.
fae

MoscaPescador 04-20-2011 11:56 AM

Thanks Fred. I was hoping that you would chimb in.

Dennis

PS: Hey Fred - I just got a new stick. It's an ACR Steelhead 1296-4. After casting a buddy's a few months back, I just had to get one.

axle27 04-20-2011 01:23 PM

MP & Fred,

Thanx again.

Sounds like a trip to Cutthroat leaders for some shopping. I'll be casting streamers mostly.

fredaevans 04-20-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 244115)
Thanks Fred. I was hoping that you would chimb in.

Dennis

PS: Hey Fred - I just got a new stick. It's an ACR Steelhead 1296-4. After casting a buddy's a few months back, I just had to get one.

You're most welcome Sir. As to the 'new stick' EXCELLENT CHOICE! I've Gary's rods (that series) in a 5, 6 and the 7. The 6 is one of my all-round rods (tossing a dry line) for higher summer flows or low winter flows. Trust me, it will handle a very large fish under those conditions.:worthy:
:D

fae