The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle

MP (and anyone else who will listen),

I finally have most of what I need for a switch rod setup. Not exactly what I specified before, but I hope it works:

11ft Elkhorn 5/6 switch
Allen & Co. Trout 7/8
backing (compliments of my buddy Ard)
350gr Ballistic Spey Line by Snake River outfitters (this was recommended directly from Elkhorn for both spey and overhead casting as the head is only 35ft long)

The question I have is: I got a 5ft tapered furled leader for 7/8 with a small swivel. Can I use a 3ft section of TI-6 sinking tip (it is of no brand, just something I picked up a few years ago and never used) between the line and the furled leader via loop to loop?

I'm thinking 3ft TI-6, 5ft of tapered leader, 2ft of flouro tippet is 10ft. Not quite 11ft, but it's close.

If not, what do you suggest?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle

Axel, there are almost too many variables in the question, to even reply.
Every fisherman has preferences they discover through casting a setup.
A commenter would need to own, or hold that exact combination of rod, line, etc.
Even then, their style of casting may reflect prejudices, or habits you don't have.
It sounds to me like you are good to go.
After a while, most guys start building lines to fit the rod, and change to fit the water they fish. Avoiding the loop to loop thing.
I build loop to loops for big spring flows, and it works fine.
It just works better without the extra drag.
I can't address the furled leader thing (7/8).
Right now, I'd say go wet a line.
Take a marker along to indicate where the line should be, to cast for your comfort.
I'm not MR Spey, but I couldn't leave you hanging either.
We await Dennis.
Enjoy;

Jim
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

bump to the top
Old 04-20-2011, 09:24 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I never tried a furled leader on a Spey line, but I'd probably skip it. There might be too much hinge. Feel free to experiment.

I think that the Ballistic Spey line that you have is a Scandi integrated line. You are probably best off with a 10 foot polyleader plus a few feet of tippet.

Dennis
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Off a full on dry line a furled leader will work fine; several folks commercially make them for that purposes. Off a sink tip, doubt you want to go there.
fae
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred. I was hoping that you would chimb in.

Dennis

PS: Hey Fred - I just got a new stick. It's an ACR Steelhead 1296-4. After casting a buddy's a few months back, I just had to get one.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

MP & Fred,

Thanx again.

Sounds like a trip to Cutthroat leaders for some shopping. I'll be casting streamers mostly.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Paging Mosca Pescador: Switch rod cleanup, this aisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Thanks Fred. I was hoping that you would chimb in.

Dennis

PS: Hey Fred - I just got a new stick. It's an ACR Steelhead 1296-4. After casting a buddy's a few months back, I just had to get one.
You're most welcome Sir. As to the 'new stick' EXCELLENT CHOICE! I've Gary's rods (that series) in a 5, 6 and the 7. The 6 is one of my all-round rods (tossing a dry line) for higher summer flows or low winter flows. Trust me, it will handle a very large fish under those conditions.

fae