The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM

gillh2o is on a distinguished road
Default Fluorocarbon tippet

I have been making my own leaders with Maxima now for about two years. I have been using Berkley Vanish fluoro for 4x and 3x tippet and have not had any noticeable problems. I'm thinking of using the new Berkley Fluorocarbon. My primary reason has been a cost factor instead of purchasing fluorocarbon fly fishing tippet. Do any of you think there is any difference in regular fluoro fishing line versus fly fishing tippet?

On another note I'm in my second winter of fly tying and starting to tie some #20 BWOs. As was pointed out on this board when I started...it is a curse.

Thanks, Johng
Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 AM

vsyogi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fluorocarbon tippet

I've been using 8lb vanish as my tippet and havent had any problems. Although if your using dry's im sure you would want to use mono instead to keep it floating.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

The biggest difference between Fluorocarbon tippet material and regular fluorocarbon fishing line is 1) the diameter - tippet material is often thinner for the same test weight (not always!), and 2) tippet material is often more flexible (again, not always - depends on the brand). I have found some brands of Fluoro tippet material to be stiffer than Fluoro fishing line - you just have to try the fishing line against the tippet material you normally use.

I have been successfully using the Seaguar CarbonPro Fluorocarbon fishing line for tippet material for several years - for example, in 4lb it is slightly larger (.005mm) in diameter than a standard 5X tippet. The Seaguar makes a great nymphing tippet, and after more than 2 years I have not seen any negative impact on frequency of hookups. I can also tell you that it will save you a small fortune buying 200yd ($15) or 400yd ($25) spools of Fluoro fishing ling line vs. spending $14-$18 for a 25yd-30yd spool of Fluoro tippet.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

BTW - A friend just mentioned to me that a manufacturer rep told him there is one other key difference between regular line and tippet. According to the rep, tippet is manufactured under tighter tolerances and therefore is more consistent in diameter and breaking strength. Of course the manufacturer rep does not have an un-biased opinion; after all, they really want you to buy those expensive little spools of tippet material.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

I use Orvis Mirage tippet for my nymphs. That's flouro..... I use mono for dries.
It's only $10 for 40 meters on a tiny spool with a rubber holder. That's a five year supply for me!! LOL After 5 years I would probably pitch the unused line and purchase new.
This has excellent knot strength and my 6X is .005" and rated at 3.6lb.
That's big enough to land any fish under 15lbs and a small diameter to fit the midges I usually fish.
I really don't see how you are saving by buying the big spools.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:16 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I have been using Seaguar flouro fishing line for my first 6 feet of tippet. I started this last Spring and I believe it is 6lb. I then tie on Airflo and now Seaguar Grand MAX 6x or 7x for the next 4 feet.

If I am fishing streamers I don't tie on my tippet at all just the Seaguar.

Dicks and Bass pro carry the SEAGUAR. A spool is pricey but cheaper than fly fishing tippet. I believe it is really flexible and can be used for 2 fly nymphing really easy.

I like what Brewmast says and will give it a try if I can find it around here at 2 and 3 lb test.. in other words 6 to 7x diameter.

Basically I use regular fishing line 5x or bigger in size and then tippet for 6 and 7x in size.

CritterGetter

PS.. If I need it to float I will grease it instead of having that extra set of Mono line. I don't dry fly fish all that much anymore.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

crittergetter - I can get the Seguar CarbonPro in 2lb (slightly larger than 7X) and 4lb (slightly larger than 5X) at Cabela's. If you find a source for 3lb CarbonPro, please let me know where you located it.

rickf - The Orvis Mirage is one of the less expensive Fluoro tippets available, and not everyone carries it in stock. If you buy Rio, Umpqua, SA, FrogHair or Seaguar you will pay $12-$18 for a 25yd-30yd spool of Fluoro tippet. In a single year I will completely use up a 200yd spool of the 4lb CarbonPro and about 1/2 of a 200yd spool of the 2lb CarbonPro as tippet material. In those quantities I will save a decent amount of money - enough to pay for at least a new fly line (or even two). Like you, I also use mono for dry flies.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:11 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
rickf - The Orvis Mirage is one of the less expensive Fluoro tippets available, and not everyone carries it in stock. If you buy Rio, Umpqua, SA, FrogHair or Seaguar you will pay $12-$18 for a 25yd-30yd spool of Fluoro tippet. In a single year I will completely use up a 200yd spool of the 4lb CarbonPro and about 1/2 of a 200yd spool of the 2lb CarbonPro as tippet material. In those quantities I will save a decent amount of money - enough to pay for at least a new fly line (or even two). Like you, I also use mono for dry flies.
Wow!!! that's a lot of tippet.
I still have a lot of flouro in 30lb, 25lb, 20lb, 15lb, and 10lb from my saltwater spin stuff. I also tie my own custom leaders sometimes.
I use a Uni to Uni for my leader to tippet, or sometimes a "Mini Tippet Ring" so I never use up the leader.
But if you use that much, quantity is the only way to go.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
crittergetter - I can get the Seguar CarbonPro in 2lb (slightly larger than 7X) and 4lb (slightly larger than 5X) at Cabela's. If you find a source for 3lb CarbonPro, please let me know where you located it.
I will look there. There isn't much in Columbia. And I do have a KC trip coming up in about 4 weeks. I will keep my eyes out. I don't believe I ever saw odd # LBS from Seguar...

I was tempted towards the end of season to get Seguar's INV or their Vanis stuff? Have you ever tried it? It is actually more than the CarbonPro and I know they have been making it for ever..

Crittergetter

PS... Are you going to Bennette for the opener? You know if it wasn't for us standing shoulder to shoulder spring wouldn't happen... I packed the YEAGER alread even before the rods.. You know opening day's isn't about the fishing it is about the party and fishing happens somewhere in the middle.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
Wow!!! that's a lot of tippet.
I still have a lot of flouro in 30lb, 25lb, 20lb, 15lb, and 10lb from my saltwater spin stuff. I also tie my own custom leaders sometimes.
I use a Uni to Uni for my leader to tippet, or sometimes a "Mini Tippet Ring" so I never use up the leader.
But if you use that much, quantity is the only way to go.
I use the furled leaders from Feather-Craft with the "Mini Tippet Ring" almost exclusively. Frequently I may use as much as 5ft-6ft of fluoro tippet with nymphs in order to make sure I am getting down to the bottom, and switch back and forth between fluoro for nymphs and mono for drys as the conditions and hatches require. Thus I use a fair amount of tippet material.

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergetter View Post
I will look there. There isn't much in Columbia. And I do have a KC trip coming up in about 4 weeks. I will keep my eyes out. I don't believe I ever saw odd # LBS from Seguar...

I was tempted towards the end of season to get Seguar's INV or their Vanis stuff? Have you ever tried it? It is actually more than the CarbonPro and I know they have been making it for ever..

Crittergetter

PS... Are you going to Bennett for the opener? You know if it wasn't for us standing shoulder to shoulder spring wouldn't happen... I packed the YEAGER alread even before the rods.. You know opening day's isn't about the fishing it is about the party and fishing happens somewhere in the middle.

I have never seen odd# Seaguar either, but had hopes. Is the Seaguar INV or their Vanish available in odd# strengths?

I will not be down to any of the Trout Parks for the season opener, they are just a "little bit" too crowded for me!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 05:25 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
I use the furled leaders from Feather-Craft with the "Mini Tippet Ring" almost exclusively.
WOW! I just went to FC's site-- $12.00 a pop? PM Joni on the boards-- She will be a good source for furled for you.... I've never used one of hers (I furl my own)-- but have heard nothing but good things about her leaders.-- she has them cheaper and you will be supporting someone from the boards...