The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM

two_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the roughtwo_nymph_rig is a jewel in the rough
Default Rigging up a dropper

I just got into really fishing droppers last summer. I would mostly fish a two nymph rig, sometimes a hopper/dropper, and sometimes a double dry rig. I would always just leave a long tag after tying the first fly, then tie the second fly to the extra tag end. How does everybody else do their dropper? long tag? another line from the shank of the first hook? any recommendations are appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rigging up a dropper

The guy that taught me used 12" to 18" tippet with a fly tied-on. On the other end he would tie a clinch knot and leave a big loop. On the stream he would select a dropper, put the loop over the bend of the hook, and pull tight. So that's what I do. However I usually have to tie a few streamside, but I tie the loop off the hook.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I fish a cast of wet flies, I'll tie dropper loops in the leader.
You can't take the loops out without kinking the leader up but you can cut the dropper tippets off and the loops won't be in the way.
This is the old school way and still the best.
http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com

I fish two streamers a lot, but this works for nymphs as well.
When tying up the tippet for a loop2loop connection I'll use a surgeon's loop knot and leave the tag end long..... couldn't be easier
Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

The problem I have with tying my dropper fly's tippit to the bend of the leading fly's hook is that with the barbless hooks I use, the tippit knot often slides off the hook. I'm now thinking of tying the second fly's tippit onto the first fly's eye. In addition, I'm considering using the non-slip mono loop to tie on both flies, on the theory that the action of the flies will seem more natural.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

I've been thinking about fishing two flies as well now... for those of you that tie off at the eye of the first fly, do you find yourself untangling the first fly much? /threadjack...

- Justin
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

orvis did a podcast about droppers. i asked him about it and a week later my very own podcast.... i liked to think it was me. i use a long dropper when i really need to get the fly deep. i use droppers in desperation. nothing gets you more upset when you just got done rigging up your dropper and a smolt decides to take it and spins it up..... i also tie the loop off the hook. not sure if you seen this, but i saw this guy before he ties the dropper on he takes the tippet and twist it a few times then brings his hand together and it like you made all the twist. its really helpful.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Love those orvis podcasts. I'll have to seek out that one.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking, if you use a small dropper loop 18 inches up the leader, and decide to go to just one fly, you can hook a split shot on the loop to help you get the fly down, in shallow water, you could hook a yarn indicator, etc. I think I will give this a try. I usually just tie on a nymph, then leave a long tag end (12 to 16 inches) and use that to tie on another, but the dropper loop, may be an ok solution for how I like to double nymph. I wonder, using Joni's furled leaders, if you could take the dropper loop out without ill effect, or If I should tie on some 4# or 6# mono to the furled leader, add a dropper loop, and then add tippet to the end of that for the tailing fly.....hmmm, time to experiment some more.

d
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

For a hopper-dropper, simply slide a hopper up your tippet to the point you want it to float and tie in a clinch knot, by twisting the fly and threading the long tag. Then tie on the point fly, usually a nymph with whatever terminal knot you use, I use a Davy. And no, tying a dropper from the eye doesn't bother the float in my view.

To add a dropper at the tippet knot, often a heavier fly to get deeper and allow the point fly to hover (ie.Euro rig), simply tie a perfection loop on a section of lighter tippet already attached to the nymph, and large enough for the nymph to pass through. I think making this short, in the 4 to 6 inch range helps prevent tangles. Then add this dropper above the tippet knot with a simple cow hitch, in other words, thread the nymph through the perfection loop around the standing line and above the tippet knot. Tighten down, and it will stay at the tippet knot. Taking it back off is just as easy. You can use this rig to add weight too as a sacrificial tag.