The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Allen fly reels

I think this may have been a previous thread, but does anybody have any experience with Allen fly Reels?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Allen fly reels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I think this may have been a previous thread, but does anybody have any experience with Allen fly Reels?
i have his XL reel with 3 spools and man they are nice and really light. when i ordered it the body got bent in the mail and i emailed justin and him got me a new one sent out and a couple extras for the trouble. i have ordered a few more things from him and cant ait to get it. he is a good guy with a good reel and for now on i will only be buying his reels. they are well made and have great components
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks AB. Can I ask which size you have and what you primarily fish for with it?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks AB. Can I ask which size you have and what you primarily fish for with it?
i have the 5/6 wt reel i normally fish for trout and mountain white fish in them and they have held up to some pretty pissed of whities
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Thanks. The price seems very reasonable. It may be time for a new reel! I was a devote of Teton reels...specifically Tiogas, but that's over now. The new Tetons seem okay, but the Allens are a much better price point.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks. The price seems very reasonable. It may be time for a new reel! I was a devote of Teton reels...specifically Tiogas, but that's over now. The new Tetons seem okay, but the Allens are a much better price point.
ya you wont regret it. i have heard good thinks about the lpha reel from allen adn co but havent had the chance to run it but based of the reviews i have read on that one. you cant go wrong with either. the XL feels like it would be weak because of the weight but dont let that fool you they are hard as rocks
Old 03-04-2010, 03:56 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I bought an XL in 7/8. Haven't had the chance to line or cast it yet, but I am impressed by the craftsmanship. Damn hard to beat a machined aluminum reel that is black anodized for $54. It's light as the devil. The real (reel?) test will be with the drag.... That will come later this spring....I hope.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab fisher View Post
when i ordered it the body got bent in the mail..............

.............. they are well made and have great components
??? okay.. if you say so
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
??? okay.. if you say so
whats with the controdiction? any reel if it is handle horribly in the mail and just thrown around will get slightly bent. based on the conditin of the box from the post office they put the thing threw hell a hundred times over
Old 03-09-2010, 03:48 PM

bigskymike_mt is on a distinguished road

i got a 5/6 and used it last weekend and it held up pretty good. its lightweight smooth and all around good reel for 54$. you wont be disappointed for the price. you might have to make sure justin sends it, a week after i bought it i had to remind him to send it. i got a sorry and a tracking #and the package shortly after that. good guy to deal with.