The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:09 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Arkansas' White River-

Hello all-

I made it down to one of my home waters yesterday a short drive into Arkansas. From my residence I have am blessed with several great rivers within a couple hours drive. One of these is the White River tailwater below Bull Shoals Dam. This river is also close (20 min) from another world class fishery- the Norfork River tailwater. Like many tailwater fisheries the river levels are subject to wild variations due to water releases from the dams. The White seems notorious for this as Bull Shoals dam is capable of releases of 26,400 cfs and I think they often meet that.

However, when the water gods sleep the river is tamed and you can have some of the most glorious fly fishing on this planet. The area in the photos is basically one side of a island, the river width on each side of the island is about 75 yards with a depth of about 2 to 4 ft. The water runs gin clear and is filled with rainbows, browns and cutthroats. For reference the several of the world record brown trout have come from these rivers with the current record of just over 40lbs coming from Arkansas' Little Red river down the road about an hour.

In this day we started by working the water with large bead head woolys fished on a downstream swing, searching the seems and drop offs or where the substrate shifted from gravel to bedrock. This technique produced scores of fish, mostly rainbows in the 14 inch range. As these fish grow up in the fast water they are very strong for their size and will rip line downstream.

Later in the afternoon the caddis hatch came off heavy enough to get the fish looking up. My best fish fell for a size 16 tan elk hair caddis and was a brown the measured a tad over 18 inches.

I got some cool photos of the water but I usually am not one to take many fish pictures although I really wanted one of the brown but my camera failed after the initial river shots, oh well there were witnesses and perhaps next time...

good flies this day- Size 16 Black/red snowcones, elk hair caddis, GRHE, size 14 BH olive woolies in slower water and size 8 in the fast runs.

Rods that really excel are 5 weights in 10 foot lengths- you have plenty of casting room and being able to pull off casts over 60ft and mend a massive amount of line will help cover a lot of water with the wooly in the classic swing. 4 and 5X tippets meet most needs.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Arkansas' White River-

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
current record of just over 40lbs coming from Arkansas' Little Red river down the road about an hour.

Actually the current world record is 41 pounds, 7 ounces recognized by the International Game Fish Association. That was caught by Tom Healy on Sept. 9, 2009 in the Manistee River in Michigan.

But keep hitting those productive home waters and maybe you can reclaim the record!! Nice report and great photos. Keep em coming!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Russell, great looking photos! Your post is getting my excited because my wife and I are there in the middle of May. We will be staying just south of Flippin, right on the water!

I can't wait! I am hoping they won't be generating like crazy nut we'll see.

Taking the 5wt and I will plan to have plenty of size 8 and 14 Woolies. Any other recommendations for mid May? What time of the day were you most successful?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Actually the current world record is 41 pounds, 7 ounces recognized by the International Game Fish Association. That was caught by Tom Healy on Sept. 9, 2009 in the Manistee River in Michigan.

But keep hitting those productive home waters and maybe you can reclaim the record!! Nice report and great photos. Keep em coming!!
Thanks! I guess down here the recorded being bested in 09 didn't get much coverage..... Either way those are both some big A-- trout!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Thanks! I guess down here the recorded being bested in 09 didn't get much coverage..... Either way those are both some big A-- trout!
russell

The Arkansas record held few a while and I'm sure those waters can produce more!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbrider405 View Post
Hey Russell, great looking photos! Your post is getting my excited because my wife and I are there in the middle of May. We will be staying just south of Flippin, right on the water!

I can't wait! I am hoping they won't be generating like crazy nut we'll see.

Taking the 5wt and I will plan to have plenty of size 8 and 14 Woolies. Any other recommendations for mid May? What time of the day were you most successful?

Thanks,
Jason
Hello Jason-

Water levels are the name of the game but you have two rivers close by to fish. Go here- swpa.gov for a schedule of water releases, they will tell you around 5pm what they will do the next day. Flies that produce are the BH woolys, scuds and sow bugs in 16/18 in grey, red @ss soft hackles, elk hair caddis, zebra midges, GRHEs. As for colors of woolys, olive works great but also brown, especially on the White as the gravel is brown and the resident sculpins are often the same color of the gravel.

I prefer to navigate the Norfork by kayak as the amount of access areas are fewer. The White OTOH has plenty of great points of access, the photos are of Rim shoals but Wildcat and Roundhouse shoals produce lots of fish. Certainly right below the dam is good fishing but the crowds can get thicker.

To get to some great fishing, go to Rim shoals and park in the lower parking lot and walk the railroad tracks downstream for about a mile. You will see a long very skinny rock island in the middle of the river this is White shoals. Most people don't walk this far down and once here you can fish your way back to the parking lot. This is what I did yesterday and I simply got tired of catching fish about 3 quarters of the way back and reeled in. PM me if you want more info, I'll give you my cell number.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh......someday, someday!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 04-21-2011, 08:46 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Russell,

Don't be scared of generation. If you have access to a boat, that is a great time to float the White and bang the banks with streamers. Jeremy Hunt at Flies & Guides guided me two days last December. It was worth every penny.

If you search my posting history, you'll find my report in the Cold Water Fishing Section of this forum.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddombos2 View Post
Russell,

Don't be scared of generation. If you have access to a boat, that is a great time to float the White and bang the banks with streamers. Jeremy Hunt at Flies & Guides guided me two days last December. It was worth every penny.

If you search my posting history, you'll find my report in the Cold Water Fishing Section of this forum.
Absolutely, very good fishing with streamers during high water. I'm considering a boat purchase for just that reason

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

a few lower water patterns-

Old 04-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow Russel,

Is it always that lonely! Beautiful water and no crowd of people marching around the river, wish I had been there with you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;