The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 10:31 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Learning to FlyFish

Good Day to All,

I am not sure if this question has ever been brought up before for discussion or not. I do not remember ever seeing it as long as I have been a part of this great forum.

How did you learn about FlyFishing ?
Did your Father or a Friend teach you to FlyFish ?
Did you take classes ?
Which is best ? Which would you recommend to a newcomer ?
Where did you start, in the water(river) or on dry land ?
If you've ever taught anyone what was the hardest area to get that person to grasp/understand ?
Lastly, how long did it take you to get the basics down before you felt comfortable ?

Hope this stirs up some discussion,
Always in the water,

Tie One On
Old 07-10-2006, 12:05 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Learning to FlyFish

While my father was a fisherman, he never had the patience to try the fly. I became interested in fly fishing during my four year stay in Alaska. I learned from books, magazines and from being on the river (trial and error method). I recently took my first formalized class from an instructor with years of accumulated knowledge and fishing experiences with the likes of Zane Grey. I learned more in that eight week course than I thought possible. It was well worth the $125.00 bucks. Years of bad casting habits are hard to correct.

I learned that while some of the new technology is great, there is something to be said about the old time tested techniques as well. I feel that the best instruction is a combination of everything. For me, this is not just a hobby; but a true passion. I'll soak up everything I can from any venue. I'll try what sounds interesting and keep it if it works for me and discard the rest.

Forums such as this are a prime source for gaining information. Everybody has an opinion and what works for some may not work for you. I have gleaned much information from the boards which, upon testing, has proven valuable and has improved my overall experience.

This is a sport which can easily overwhelm a novice. We tend to overcomplicate much of it ourselves. I've had practically every gadget known and have recently started downsizing and going back to the simple art form of fly fishing.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:44 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

How did you learn about FlyFishing ?

Outdoor Life & Field and Stream

Did your Father or a Friend teach you to FlyFish ?

I taught myself, got a few tips, and read alot.

Did you take classes ?

never really had an opportunity, and anyway, now i teach 'em.

Which is best ?

I would say a class, but they're pricey.

Which would you recommend to a newcomer ?

A class where they provide equipment.

Where did you start, in the water(river) or on dry land ?

farm pond.

If you've ever taught anyone what was the hardest area to get that person to grasp/understand ?

don't bend your wrist,

Lastly, how long did it take you to get the basics down before you felt comfortable ?

I still don't feel comfortable.

lf
Old 07-11-2006, 01:01 AM
troutman is on a distinguished road

I learned about fly fishing from watching A River Runs Through It while waiting out a hurricane in Panama City about 13 years ago. My grandfather had a rod that he let me borrow to practice with, but I have never fished with it for some reason. I have basically taught myself. Even though I got interested in fly fishing 13 years ago, I really didn't start till about 4 years ago, when a buddy and myself would skip American History class to go fishing. I'm still not comfortable with my style, but have finally, as of two weeks ago, been able to start casting past the weight foward part of my line. Still trying to learn all I can, and to stop throwing wind knots in my line and getting the fly to land before everything else instead of unrolling after the line has hit the water. I must say that it is fun learning everything!
Aaron

p.s. I have only tried to teach an ex-girlfriend how to fly fish. She was doing pretty good till she saw a Copperhead and then she gave up on it.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:03 PM

ghostrider will become famous soon enoughghostrider will become famous soon enough

Around 1960 the owner of a local hardware store told me to try a fly rod for my local pond fishing expeditions. He sold me a 8' Heddon fiberglass rod with an automatic reel. I caught grasshoppers and put them on a hook and learned how much fun it was to catch bass and panfish on the ponds and lakes of East Texas.

Taught myself how to cast, plenty of mistakes in that process.

It was only about two years ago that I had the opportunity to trout fish for the first time. I have been back only a few more times but do intend to take more opportunities as a way to get away from the stress of work and just have a great time.

Did sign up for a flyfishing course that Steve taught and learned a lot from those few days and the field trip to the Lower Mountain Fork.

Plan on teaching the grandsons the joy of this sport when they get old enough.

I still have that old Heddon rod as well as several more by this time and look forward to putting them all to use.

Still have very much to learn and hope to do so.

Austin
Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Back in the 80's sometime I, for some reason picked up a book by John Geirach "trout bum" and within 1 hour of reading that book I was obsesed with fly fishing.At first I made alot, I mean ALOT of mistakes!I never had anyone to teach me and classes where just to expensive for me back then.I was a little spoiled as great Alberta trout streams and famous rivers flowed through my back yard and the "Bow" was my instructor.I have since taught many casting lessons and even more stream side instruction.But to be honest a good JG book(there are no bad ones)and hundreds or thousands of hour on the water was the best teacher I could have had.
Tight Lines
Aaron
Old 07-14-2006, 09:21 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

Back in the 80's sometime I, for some reason picked up a book by John Geirach "trout bum" and within 1 hour of reading that book I was obsesed with fly fishing.At first I made alot, I mean ALOT of mistakes!I never had anyone to teach me and classes where just to expensive for me back then.I was a little spoiled as great Alberta trout streams and famous rivers flowed through my back yard and the "Bow" was my instructor.I have since taught many casting lessons and even more stream side instruction.But to be honest a good JG book(there are no bad ones)and hundreds or thousands of hour on the water was the best teacher I could have had.
Tight Lines
Aaron