The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default What may be coming down the pike

The nutcases in Switzerland are accomplishing what Peta has in mind for all of us.

Here's the first paragraph of an article in a British newspaper.

Quote:
When Patrick Giger, a 34-year-old angler from the Swiss village of Horgen, cast his baited line into Lake Zurich's storm-swollen waters on an icy February morning last year, he could not have forecast the trouble he would end up reeling in alongside the 22lb pike which was soon to snare itself on his hook. The day ended with the monster fish being devoured by Giger and his friends at a local restaurant, but just a few months later Giger would face, on the instructions of the state prosecutor for the canton of Zurich, criminal prosecution for causing excessive suffering to the animal after boasting to a local newspaper that he had spent around 10 minutes, and exerted considerable physical effort, landing the fish.
The whole article below.

Antoine Goetschel, the lawyer who defends animals | World news | The Guardian

The only thing I can think of is that the Chinese are putting something into their tofu that's causing brain warts.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What may be coming down the pike

Wow! What is the world coming to, that is unbelievable?

Larry
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

In some places in Switzerland, you cannot catch and release, you have to quickly kill everything you catch because of the trauma of being stuck with a hook and exercising vigorously until landed.

Good thing they don't do that to kids that have to go to the Dr. to get a shot and have a 1 1/2" needle jabbed in their butts.

Well, at least that lawyer admits he's a pig lawyer.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a trend that has gone on in this country for some time. As I said some months back, we have one of them in the current administration. What I said before doesn't seem so far fetched now does it? All we have to do is let this keep gaining ground here, and viola! We are setting in court with a fish as a complaintant.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly a bizarre argument. I don't know what percent of the Swiss
go fishing, but if this sort of thing gains traction in their legal system, I would
assume it's very low. When I was in college, a girl had spent a
semester in the Philippines. We were at the student center, and this girl was
talking about how the men in a particular region would gather around 4pm,
hunt down a dog, and then eat it. Most of the other students gathered were
horrified at this, even after the girl tried to explain that it was a traditional
male bonding sort of thing in that area. If the Swiss want to elevate fish to
citizens, c'est la vie. That's one of the reasons the USA is not a member of
the World Court.

I do recognize the need to protect certain non-human life forms, but man began fishing and hunting before written history. It's in our nature, and explains the excitement and satisfaction even a child experiences when catching a fish. Lawyers enjoy playing advocate, and the lawyer in this case
states that he is excited about the challenge. He also expresses doubt that
the Swiss would be willing to appoint an attorney to represent a fish. No doubt his own human instincts play a part in that doubt.

Now if that Planet of the Apes stuff comes true, we need to stand together
against those damned dirty apes.

P.S. Gun laws are being eased around the country in reaction to the perceived threat from the Obama administration. Gun sales are through the roof, and
CCW permits are way up. That's the beauty of America....

EDIT: Goetschel lost the case against the fisherman, and the Wall Street Journal's story has a different take than
the Guardian's: CLICK HERE
Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good article Frank. I'm glad to see the lawyer lost. The fisherman needs to file a wrongful prosecution suit now. Does he a have a legal fund set up? They need to nip this nonsense in the bud and make that lawyer feel like he was the one they ate.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Currently in America there are criminal charges (as most know) for cruelty to animals. I'm pretty sure that they have to be domesticated though otherwise I'm not sure how the law and hunting/fishing could coincide. There is no civil cause of actions for the animal themselves. However, an owner of an animal (again this would only apply to domestic animals) can file a claim for his (the owner's) pain and suffering due to his pet being harmed. I don't see how this could be expanded to wild animals such as fish but I bet you big money that some ******* lawyer out there has tried to do it. I'm sure PETA has cousel that takes up cases like this all the time.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:15 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

There are laws on the book about animal cruelty, they mention pictures and films of this type activity; animal rights groups are looking to have these apply to hunting and fishing videos as well as pics in magazines. People here need to realize the as sportsmen and women; whether we hunt, fish, or trap, we have a rather large bullseye on all of our backs.

Dan
Old 03-06-2010, 09:02 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I'm curious now. I'll look into it more and report back.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:03 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case folks don't see the Wall Street Journal link in my first post: The referendum would force each Swiss canton to hire a public advocate for animals. Currently, Zurich is the only canton that has such an office (first started in 1992). The referendum was put on the ballot by an animal rights group, and the Swiss government does not support it. The reasoning is that if a defendant can hire an attorney, the animal should be able to have someone speak for it. The gov't already represents the interest of animals (just like they do here), but referendum supporters say that they need an advocate dedicated to animals only. There are no plans to end fishing, and the angler won that case.
Closed Thread