The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default If you could go anywhere...

to fish for trout in the Western United States, where would you go? What rivers would you fish?

I'm thinking that if I don't draw a deer or antelope tag this year, I will be taking a week off to go FF somewhere outside of my home mountains (Sierras). Just me, my tent, my pole, a **** load of flies and some beer (food is optional )... I'm looking at Yellowstone and the surrounding area, but anywhere there are fish is being considered.

So let's hear what's on your Western US tour.

- Justin
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: If you could go anywhere...

If we can get it worked out my wife and I are takeng a trip this fall to fish the siereas and then drive back home through Utah and ot Idaho and montana/colorado and fishing along the way.
Bear
Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a fantastic plan. I plan on doing something similar to that next summer for my bday (4th of July). Can't this summer 'cause I have to go to spain. Life could be worse!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Bear if you get near Reno let me know, we will go wet a line.

I also have plans for a week long trip, planning on going up to the lake and camping, fishing, and generaly taking a break the week before Father's day.

d
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Justin, what time of year are you thinking?
I assume late summer or early fall because you mention deer/cantelope tag.

**Same goes here Brandon. (if you come through northern utah).**

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post

How do ya hunt cantelope? With a 30/06 or is a 22 big enough? Stand hunt or stalk? LOL I know its a typo. lord knows I make enough of those myself, but the tought of hunting cantelope is to funny
Bear
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post

I'll know for sure if I draw a tag in June, so I'd probably plan for August maybe early September. This trip's got a big IF on it, which means I'll be trying to convince the wife that fishing is not dangerous (and she let's me hunt with a real gun ).

- Justin
Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bear: You get anywhere near WY let me know and maybe you Fysh and I can do a float together on the Green River or South Fork of the Snake. Lambster is coming out in August with a buddy of his and we plan on fishing the Green together and JJ is coming out for a family reunion in July and we are planning on hitting the Big Horn together.

Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

Larry good question!

Well first of all the ( Green River ) has been one of my locations for years and the Rapid River in Maine was the next river on my list to hit! Large Brookies in that River! 4 to 8lbs. are common in the Rapid River. Larry we are looking forward in fishing with you! You've become a good friend out in Wyoming, and you have a place to put your head when you ever come to Georgia! Godbless! Tight Lines! and more

Lambster
Old 03-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons_j_m View Post
I'll know for sure if I draw a tag in June, so I'd probably plan for August maybe early September.
- Justin
Let us know when you decide. I'm sure we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
How do ya hunt cantelope? With a 30/06 or is a 22 big enough? Stand hunt or stalk? LOL I know its a typo. lord knows I make enough of those myself, but the tought of hunting cantelope is to funny
Bear
Nope, not a typo Brandon.
We see so many Antelope that years ago we started calling them Cantelope on purpose and it just kinda stuck.

P.S. Usually a .22 in plenty, but for good effect a 30/06 works very well.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/