The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 12:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's one new thing you'll learn?

I have never handled the oars of a drift boat. For 2010, I want to learn how to navigate a one. I have many friends who have them, and some of them hardly take their boats out because they spend all the time rowing. It would be a good trade for me to learn, so they could get more time fishing. That would be a win win situation.

I have been rowing pontoon boats for several years now. I just need to learn the nuances of the drift boat.

MP
Old 03-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very good year for learning last year. Learned to spey cast, (snap-T, double spey, snake roll, jelly roll, and wombat cast and put them out over 100 feet every time ) figured out to set married wings on flies right pretty much every time, and stack deer hair ( not the in the stacker, but flaired in color patterns ). I learned all of it watching videos. This year I'm not sure what I'll learn, because I didn't really plan to learn all of that last year. I would like to learn to dye hair and not wreck the leather. That one is kicking my butt. I can get the leather to come out one way, but the hair is nowhere near what I want. If the hair turns out, the leather either falls apart or turns thin and brittle like a dang potato chip. If things go as well for me with fly fishing this as last, it will be good year. Can't wat to see what I learn.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM

katorade is on a distinguished road

I want to learn what musky patterns work that I have tied.
What works in the winter, and to find that size 20 or smaller fly catches fish.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Well I tend to get sloppy casting, so I need to be more mindful about technique and improve my nymphing skills.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

As this is my first real season, Going to learn everything I can.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The one area I want to work on this year is sight fishing, in other words sighting the fish before casting.

MP: Learning to row a drift boat will make you more valuable to your friends in that you can share the rowing duties. Both Hyde and Clacka have DVD's on basic rowing and Dennis Breer made a DVD called Drift Boat Fishing 101 that gives some pretty good tips on rowing.

Larry
Old 03-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mcnerney;84739]The one area I want to work on this year is sight fishing, in other words sighting the fish before casting.

And after casting Larry....to see the fish taking your nymphit's such a great pleasure my friend Batistou calls it" halieutic orgasm"

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Don't know what I will learn...but I'm sure I'll learn something...flyfishing is a neverending learning
Old 03-07-2010, 01:08 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

It hasn't been mentioned, but I am working on 'goofy-handed' casting. ie.-- switching rod and line hands-- I've been in a number of situations-- (wind, obstructions, that side of the boat....) where ambidexterity would be handy.

Also, would like to learn some of the single-hand spey type casts....
Old 03-07-2010, 01:53 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Raindog,

Those are exactly the same two things I am hoping to do! Practice left-handed to the point where I will actually use it fishing, and learn a bit about single handed spey.

I was out in the field a couple days ago practicing left handed after aggravatinig my right forearm muscle again. My backcast is pretty weak with that arm, and the haul feels totally spaztic.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

To fish more dries......I'm a nymph / streamer guy......so I have been working on the vise.....and Can't wait for hatches...and that dang spring run off to get over.....