The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default What's one new thing you'll learn?

What is one new thing you will learn how to do this fly season? Last year was the first time i'd ever tried really fishing nymphs with weight added to the line. that is going to be my focus this year. how about everybody else?

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

i'd like to add to mine. i've never tried fishing a wet fly before either, so that might be a new experience.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's one new thing you'll learn?

I am in the middle of a learning curve, experimenting with multi-fly rigs. In B.C. where I grew up I could only use one fly, now after many years of this it is a new experience that I need to improve on.....Kerry
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Within the last few days the ice has broken up in the large river coves which to me signals the beginning of the pre-spawn pike season.
So right now I got northern pike on the brain.
A short term goal is to learn a few new places. Hopefully spots where I can wade before flood season begins.
I wasn't able to fish yesterday, but I did check out a couple of new places that look promising.

Later in the season, I think I'd like to spend more time sight fishing. Not just on the salt water flats and in the surf, but on the local river's flats for carp
Old 03-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Kerry,SDF, That is why I enjoy this sport. Unlimited learning.
My "jones" right now is the switch rod thing, A whole new set of casts, mends.
That, and getting to fish I couldn't reach before. Gotta love it!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Learning the Spey Game.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

#1: Recognizing strikes indications then setting the hook more timely, and in the right direction.
#2: BUT, I need work on it all.
distance
high sticking
etc
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Really show that double haul who is boss, I am sick and tired of it laughing at me and calling me hurtful names.
Cabot
Old 03-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Since I probably won't be fishing much this year, I would like to learn the most effective ways to teach others how to fly fish.

okay... I'll fess up and say I want to learn to do a graceful and repeatable overhead curve cast to the rod hand side.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Since this is my first season fly fishing my goal is... wait for it... wait... to learn how to effectively catch fish. 5 trips out and one fish... I've got a lot to learn

- Justin
Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

This will be my second season fly fishing for trout here in northern Colorado. I did manage to get out quite a bit my first season as well as several times during winter so I feel like I learned a lot but at the same time feel so ignorant. You know, the more you know the more you know you don't know.

Goals for next season:
1) Learn to read hatches
2) Get skunked less often (just did today on the Poudre )
3) Double haul cast
4) Tying dries

I think I am going to splurge this year and get myself a day with a guide.