The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Your most insane fishing trip

Mine? Fishing the Yougheheiny River in a thunderstorm. Saying to my buddy...you do realize we are just a tad crazy here. Hiding under a bridge. And catching browns on parachute adams like there was no tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your most insane fishing trip

Back in the 70's I liked to hitch-hike to a location then backpack in to fish. Stealth camping in the woods
It was often tough getting rides into remote areas and some nights were spent sleeping on the side of the road.
Frame pack with a rod tube lashed to the side, sign that said "Going Fishin"...
It was fun.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Fishing in the Shenandoah Park in a snowstorm. I caught a bunch of brookies, but I had hiked in over an hour and several miles up the mountains. It was dark and overcast all day, and I didn't see the sun go behind the mountains because it was so overcast. That's my usual sign to pack up and start the hike out. I didn't notice until it started getting dark. I jogged most of the way back, where safe, and still barely beat complete darkness. During the jog, I lost half my rod and knew I didn't have time to go back and look for it. I left a note on the trailhead, and fortunately some nice guy and his daughters found it and called me to come pick it up.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Back in 2007, my brother and I were camping in Wyoming along this little creek that flows about a mile and a half to a much larger creek. We wanted to fish the larger creek, so we hiked down to it along the "high road." There wasn't any trail, we pretty much just bushwhacked, but stayed along the top of the ridge. It was fairly easy hiking except for one little spot. Well, anyway, after a day of fishing, as we were starting back to camp, I suggested to my brother that we take the "low road" along the creek - and he was dumb enough to listen to me.

Click the image to open in full size.

What started out as a nice, relatively calm stream, quickly entered a steep canyon and became a little more, well, treacherous.

At this point we were really beginning to wonder what we'd gotten ourselves into.

But we would have had to go almost all the way back downstream in order to get back to the path we knew we could take. So we pressed on. We're kind of idiots.

Eventually we came to a point where the canyon was so narrow you could barely get through it.

Of course, once we got through there, it just got worse from there. It got so bad, in fact, that we had to come back out through that canyon and I had to put the camera away.

Rather than hiking all the way downstream though, we found a relatively easy grade that we could climb up (relatively is the key word here). It was largely a talus slope, however. So it wasn't exactly easy. Not to mention, both of us had carried our rods down to the stream without bringing a rod tube. We we each had to carry our rods through this.

Anyway, my brother led the way, and we began ascending the slope. Considering the loose rocks, we went one at a time until we reached a place we could safely rest.

At one point, my brother yelled "Rock!" and I ducked back behind a boulder just in time as a rock the size of a football careened past my head in a blur.

We finally did make it (obviously, since I'm posting this story on the internet now), though the trip took about two hours longer than it would have had we just taken the high road. But then we wouldn't have to story to tell.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Spin fishing lake Michigan off the pier in waukegan for salmon I think holds my most insane experience at the moment. The salmon were in the harbor for some reason, probably for the smelt run that should have been happening, so I decided to go fishing. When I got to the harbor the surf was blowing 3-4 feet but the fish were biting on blue and silver spoons. Now 3-4' waves are biggish and rough sometimes but not to warrent calling off fishing. A friend with me figured it could get worse so he brought rope just incase. Good thing because within 2 hours the waves were 3-4' over the top of the pier! The pier is a good 5' over the water at its highest point(where we fished from) and had huge metal tie offs for large boats to which we tied ourselves. 4 fish landed fir me and 6 for my friend in 6-8' waves smashing into us and over us. 17 and stupid but it was fun and I can't believe that I didn't get killed while doing it...

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 04-22-2011, 07:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of years ago kayaking down the Lil Red spin fishing in an unbelievable hard rain. The storm rolled in and when the rain came the fish turned on and were hitting on every cast for about 30 minutes and ended up c&r over 70 fish in less than two hours. We were so cold and numb when we reached the takeout it was difficult just walking to the pickup.

Dave
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Another Arkansas adventure, this one on the White River. It was the late 80s and my friends and I had set up production of styrofoam kick boats. These small crafts were built out of reinforced styrofoam that was then coated to enhance waterproofness and durability. Regardless of our best intentions the boats looked like a chunk of someone's dock that had been set adrift and you were stuck on it.

You propelled the boat by using scuba fins and on a tame river they were quite effective. This particular day started tame but ended less then so. We set out to float a considerable distance during a daybreak to evening trip, about 15 river miles. Little did we know the powers that be turned on all 8 generators on the White River increasing the flow to around 26,000 CFS. For those that are not sure what that means- that is 26 thousand cubic feet of water PER SECOND!

It was about two miles into the float when the water hit us, there was little we could do but ride it out as our vehicles were parke miles downstream. In all honestly the little boats did pretty good and if the rapids looked to hairy ahear we would pull to the bank and come up with a new plan. This worked great until we got hit by a thunderstorm and the river canyon got foggy.

Fog or not we forged ahead and in time the bluffs that marked our takeout point became visible. We had traveled 13 miles of water in just over three hours- crazy. The scary part was the last mile of water was a series of angry standing rollers. We made through, that part will haunt me forever. I think I had to have help prying my fingers out of the styrofoam as I hand death gripped that boat so hard. For reference these boats were about five feet long and four feet wide.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

I was going to post a story, but after the tale and photos poke em left, I'll just say...... Hell yeah brother. Thats why I love this stuff, gorgeous photos bro. Can't wait to get lost and come home from my next trip that beautiful. Glad you came home safe poke.

- Jonesy
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

It was 1982 and I was packing into the bighorns in Wyoming. it was a 14mile hike up and there were 5 of us going in for a long weekend. About 5 - 6 miles in one of us look across the valley from the trail we were on and spot a bear in a clearing on the side of the mountain tearing into a stump.

Now I don't care if they say there are no grizzly's in the bighorns....this my friends was no black bear. quarter mile as the crow flys...maybe half mile on land straight across. It stopped its shredding of that stump, stood up and looked right in our direction, dropped down and headed into the trees going up the canyon (we were headed up the canyon).

Now, we had a discussion. six miles from the nearest road and our cars, the bear probably sensed us somehow (wind going down the canyon). Do we continue, turn around and the how too's of both options.

We continued but climbed over the ridge we were treking up and over to the other side, down into the next valley over and onto another trail that would take us on the opposite side of a pretty good sized peak we had to get around.

long story shortenned now...the lake fishing was like being in eden. The camp fires were BIG and we heard every pinecone drop/twig snap/leaf fall for three days. Didn't see the bear again but felt like it was looking over our shoulder the whole time.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Speaking of bears, I'll relay an experience that happened to my brother while backpacking in Wyoming.

He and a couple of buddies were deep in the wilderness when they decided to stop and set up camp for the evening. Just as soon as they'd set up camp, they looked out over the valley they were in and saw two big brown dots come over a ridge, followed by an even bigger brown dot. It was a grizzly bear chasing two elk. The bear chased the elk through the valley and over the next ridge.

A few minutes later, here they came going back the other direction. About halfway through the valley they all just stopped. For about 5 minutes they didn't move at all. Finally, the elk started to take a few steps away, and the grizzly got up to follow. So they stopped, and the bear stopped. They moved again, and the bear moved again. So they stopped. Finally, they took off again and the bear took off chasing them again.

So my brother and his friends decided that if a grizzly bear was hungry enough to chase two elk across the valley and back, they probably didn't want to sleep there. So they packed up and hiked another six miles in the dark.