The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:29 PM

oldejoe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Shoe goo to repair waders

Anyone ever use shoe goo to repair a rip in breathable waders? I'm staring at a rip and a tube of shoe goo and rather than run out to the tackle shop....
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shoe goo to repair waders

Not breathable waders, but I have on the old style rubber hip waders. It worked great. In fact my Canadian buddy ripped the boot most of the way off, and I shoe gooed it back on with a rubber strip. It worked fine. And that was a far more catastrophic bit of damage than I'm sure your waders are suffering.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I have used shoe goo on breathables when I got a seam rip. It worked just fine. kind of stiff, but perfectly waterproof and very durable. I put it on the inside and the outside of the waders. Fished them that way for a few months until I could afford a new pair. Still have them as a backup.

Gary
Old 03-07-2010, 06:25 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

i use the goop products all the time for wader repairs. I thin it to seal seams on the inside, cuts and holes I use it full strenth. lasts a lifetime. I also thin it to use as a cement on feathers and such for tying.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Jim M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
i use the goop products all the time for wader repairs. I thin it to seal seams on the inside, cuts and holes I use it full strenth. lasts a lifetime. I also thin it to use as a cement on feathers and such for tying.
Bob -

What do you use to thin it??

Thanks - Jim
Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Yea Bob, let us know what you thin it with.

Frank
Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use lighter fluid.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 AM

super fly fisherman is on a distinguished road

shoe goo may work, but I used this stuff that is used to seal tents. I think its just called tent seal and to keeps the water out great. It is a little more expensive than shoe goo though
Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Toulene to thin it, yeah I know its bad but thats what the base line is for most glues and sealants. paint stores carry it, though some states have out lawed it. Ny for one. i buy it by the gallon.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 AM

oldejoe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback ... i used the Shoe goo to repair the rip ... if it fails I'll let you know.