The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

Around a 12'' rainbow on a size 12 olive woolly bugger. When in doubt throw a bugger.
Cabot
Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

mine was an 18" brown on a size 16 prince nymph i am still surprised i landed that monster.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:45 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

WoW" the first time i went flyfishing. I fished for 3-4hrs casting, I think i tied on every dry fly in the box.In the end i was walking back up river like a wiped dog, I didn't know i was draging my fly throuh the riffles, and wam i felt the fish jump, man he was about 4" long if that. But i tell you i felt better catching him than any fish i ever couth. It was the start of a great passion. Buy the way the fly was a small elkhair caddis.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 PM

spanish_fly is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

Jeez.. you do have to tap the memory bank for this one. I gave myself a headache thinkin about it but I do remember. My first trout was a rainbow in a creek..believe it or not with a imitation of a grasshopper. Like shootin fish in a barrel LOL..
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i remember like it was just yesterday......... i was on the Mackenzie river. I was fishing with a orange stimi. As i was stripping in for another cast a good size trout took it. first fish i ever caught took only 5 months
Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

it was 30 years ago.....on a small stream in calif. .....a mosquito tied by my mom.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

A funny little white marabou jig head thing-- size 8. 14" stocker bow in a lake-- don't pursue the stockers in the local lake much, anymore... Haven't looked for a trout in 2 years.

they actually just stocked again a last week (I think...)--might have to give 'er another shot, soon.

//edit/// and Neal, I once caught a fruit bat with a mosquito pattern... :biggrin (no joke. took my back cast-- I don't know if I 'caught' him or just happened to 'snag' him during presentation cast.... didn't strip him in to find out, just cut the fly line-- not worth risking whatever disease those nasty things harbor....)
Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 PM

catfish is on a distinguished road

it was a 10-12in rainbow at bear lake on a elk hair caddis

must have caught 10 fish that day

and was hooked for life
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

More than 40 years ago I worked a couple of summers at a Boy Scout camp as a counselor, and for a couple of weeks one of my jobs was to help take scout troops on a 4 day float trip down the Current river - started just below Missouri's Montauk State Park. I caught my first trout on my first fly rod/reel that summer on an olive wooly bugger (size? - who knows); cooked it over an open campfire and ate it for dinner - absolutely delicious! (beat the heck out of the dehydrated stuff the scouts were eating!)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

First fish on a fly was a 12 inch rainbow on a muddler minnow swinging in the current on the snake river in Idaho. First fish on a fly I tied was a 16 inch rainbow on the Truckee caught on a wooly sculpin (a wooly bugger with rabbit zonker wings). I have a picture of this one on the wall. The original muddler minnow rides in my fishing hat.

d