The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   What fly was your first Trout caught on? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/12935-what-fly-your-first-trout-caught.html)

mrfzx 03-08-2010 08:22 AM

What fly was your first Trout caught on?

The most recent thread by "luked" made me remember my first fly caught trout. It was a smallish, about 10 inches long, rainbow. I caught it on a local fly pattern called a Hellcat. A steamer with a tiny brass propeller on the front. It was tied by the man who that very summer introduced me to tying. He was the grandfather of my best friend. He's gone now, and his grandson and I have drifted apart, but the lessons he taught me remain.....as do the Hellcats!

What was your first fly-caught trout pattern?

luked 03-08-2010 09:10 AM

Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

since mine was jsut this weekend its easy to remember...and probably always will be.....Red Copper john tied by myself

Rip Tide 03-08-2010 09:39 AM

Mine was a black gnat wet.
It was my grandfather's favorite ;)

simmons_j_m 03-08-2010 10:01 AM

I caught my first a bwo dun dry... couldn't believe the fish took it at first.

- Justin

futuramille 03-08-2010 10:14 AM

Congratulations Luked!!!! :thmbup:

...hopper imitation got my first rainbow in Rocky mountain National park, Colorado. I think it was 1977 and I was 12yo...same age as my son now who last summer caught his first trout on a GRHE...a nice little brown.

mrfzx 03-08-2010 10:43 AM

Very cool futuramille. I was only 10 when i caught my first. I wish i had a son to pass it on to, but I am doing what I can. Wednesday evening I am giving a presentation to the local boy scout troop on fly fishing and tying. Maybe I can start a few of them out if I'm lucky.

Oh, I added my favorite saying....I hope its not too demeaning....I mean it to no one in particular.

boser 03-08-2010 11:47 AM

I know you probably wont believe me but my first Trout was caught on a Elk Hair Caddis....for some reason they just really hit that Fly hard on that day....

Regards, Boser

fyshstykr 03-08-2010 12:03 PM

A plain ol' Wolly Worm, grizzley hackle with a red yarn butt.
Caught a lot of fysh on that pattern back then. $$$ says it would work well today too.

Jimmie 03-08-2010 12:17 PM

Pheasant Tail Nymph
Just a little bitty brown. I couldn't believe that it took a fly that big. Seems it was approx. #14.

Guest1 03-08-2010 12:56 PM

As I said in the other thread like this, it was a cheap K-Mart fly I have never found an name for. It was a dry fly with red hackle tail, a silver tinsel body, white wings (slips tied upright) , and a teal blue hackle (tied before and possibly after the wings). I'm not sure if it was meant to be a wet or dry fly, but I used it as a dry. I still remember it like it was yesterday, the fly only drifted 4 or 5 feet before this fat football of a Brook Trout came up and smashed the fly. If anyone knows the name of that fly I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Up till now I've just called it "some cheap Chinese fly".:confused: