The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 09:22 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default What fly was your first Trout caught on?

The most recent thread by "luked" made me remember my first fly caught trout. It was a smallish, about 10 inches long, rainbow. I caught it on a local fly pattern called a Hellcat. A steamer with a tiny brass propeller on the front. It was tied by the man who that very summer introduced me to tying. He was the grandfather of my best friend. He's gone now, and his grandson and I have drifted apart, but the lessons he taught me remain.....as do the Hellcats!

What was your first fly-caught trout pattern?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:10 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What fly was your first Trout caught on?

since mine was jsut this weekend its easy to remember...and probably always will be.....Red Copper john tied by myself
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was a black gnat wet.
It was my grandfather's favorite
Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

I caught my first a bwo dun dry... couldn't believe the fish took it at first.

- Justin
Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Congratulations Luked!!!!

...hopper imitation got my first rainbow in Rocky mountain National park, Colorado. I think it was 1977 and I was 12yo...same age as my son now who last summer caught his first trout on a GRHE...a nice little brown.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Very cool futuramille. I was only 10 when i caught my first. I wish i had a son to pass it on to, but I am doing what I can. Wednesday evening I am giving a presentation to the local boy scout troop on fly fishing and tying. Maybe I can start a few of them out if I'm lucky.

Oh, I added my favorite saying....I hope its not too demeaning....I mean it to no one in particular.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:47 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

I know you probably wont believe me but my first Trout was caught on a Elk Hair Caddis....for some reason they just really hit that Fly hard on that day....

Regards, Boser
Old 03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A plain ol' Wolly Worm, grizzley hackle with a red yarn butt.
Caught a lot of fysh on that pattern back then. $$$ says it would work well today too.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Pheasant Tail Nymph
Just a little bitty brown. I couldn't believe that it took a fly that big. Seems it was approx. #14.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in the other thread like this, it was a cheap K-Mart fly I have never found an name for. It was a dry fly with red hackle tail, a silver tinsel body, white wings (slips tied upright) , and a teal blue hackle (tied before and possibly after the wings). I'm not sure if it was meant to be a wet or dry fly, but I used it as a dry. I still remember it like it was yesterday, the fly only drifted 4 or 5 feet before this fat football of a Brook Trout came up and smashed the fly. If anyone knows the name of that fly I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Up till now I've just called it "some cheap Chinese fly".