The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:27 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone ever make a seine?

Looking at making one compared to some of the expensive ones on the market. If you've made one before, what did you use? Was thinking window screening might be small enough and easily attachable to a folding frame with handle. Someone told me cheese cloth, but I don't think it's porous enough... thoughts?

Justin
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone ever make a seine?

window screen, fiber glass stuff. as for folding frame let me know.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You mean for nymphs ?
If you carry a net, get yourself a old pantyhose leg
Just slip it over the net and tie a knot in the foot end so that you have a handle in case you need to pull it off quick.
Not only is it good for seining nymphs, but it keeps the net bag from getting caught in the underbrush.
..... looks real classy too
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You mean for nymphs ?
If you carry a net, get yourself a old pantyhose leg
Just slip it over the net and tie a knot in the foot end so that you have a handle in case you need to pull it off quick.
Not only is it good for seining nymphs, but it keeps the net bag from getting caught in the underbrush.
..... looks real classy too
Genius idea! Time to raid the wife's, ummm, gotta do some laundry

Justin
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I bought a quick-seine that covers my net from Cabelas, they are normally $20 but I got mine on sale for 10, and when it is not in use it rolls up in its own little bag.

d
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I do a bit of bug sampling, and ended up making one w/mosquito netting. Cut the sticks out of a bike flag pole, and to fit my pack. Fastened it with duct tape.Have a bigger one for class size samples. Cost-$0. Best tool for fishing, next to a rod.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 03-10-2010, 01:42 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I use a panty hose leg too. When done just ball it up and stash it in a vest pocket.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:59 PM

super fly fisherman is on a distinguished road

I got a C&R net from Big5 and it is so fine I can use it as a seine. Its not the finest filter but it catches the tiny nymphs here in AZ, and it doesnt catch all the organic crud in the water . just dip the net, a little san juan shuffle and a looksee and you know exactly what to tie on. Usually in AZ a size 18 hares ear