The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Boys Scouts and Fly Fishing

Last night I gave a one hour talk to the local Webelo troop (post cub scouts....pre boy scouts average age 11)on fly fishing and tying. I found out that there is a Merit Badge for fly tying. Wouldn't it be great if we all volunteered for our local Boy Scout troops to teach fly tying and help them get that merit badge?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Boys Scouts and Fly Fishing

A really good friend of mine is the Pack Leader for my son's Pack. I've often thought about marrying up TU and the Pack for such a thing. I don't do much tying, but it might be a good PR thing for both sides. Perhaps they could do a presentation with the Scouts and the Scouts could volunteer to assist in a creek cleanup.

I know that my wife's Girl Scout troop did just that.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was a cub scout den leader for four years
I'm just happy I survived
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Rip, here, all the cub scout leaders are women, called "den mothers". Men don't step up until the kids get to Webelos, and even then its a split between men and women. I think maybe that its a biological thing. Women seem better able to deal with small children than men, emotionally speaking. I believe that is why more elementary teachers are women.

Okay...yes, that was sexist...tough noogies!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Boys Scouts and Fly Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Rip, here, all the cub scout leaders are women, called "den mothers". Men don't step up until the kids get to Webelos, and even then its a split between men and women. I think maybe that its a biological thing. Women seem better able to deal with small children than men, emotionally speaking. I believe that is why more elementary teachers are women.

Okay...yes, that was sexist...tough noogies!
I'm not sure how to respond to that ....
I was a "den leader" and I wasn't the only father in our pack to tackle the job.
Frankly, I find your post insulting.
Good luck with your scouting experience .... and try to keep an open mind, you're going to need it.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM

halo7b is on a distinguished road

Over the past couple of years, I have given casting lessons to 3 different troops a few times a year, all boy scout troops and many of the dads are in to the sport. what is fun to watch is when the younger of the two throw line and beat out the dads, cause there is always "some reason" a father is bested by his son.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to that ....
I was a "den leader" and I wasn't the only father in our pack to tackle the job.
Frankly, I find your post insulting.
Good luck with your scouting experience .... and try to keep an open mind, you're going to need it.
Woah there big guy! No insult intended. Just stating how things are here. Its commendable that you tackled the den. I am sorry that your ego is so fragile though.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
Woah there big guy! No insult intended. Just stating how things are here. Its commendable that you tackled the den. I am sorry that your ego is so fragile though.
I don't know where 'here' is but in the real world volunteers don't always pop up out of the woodwork.
I stepped up when I was needed and logged in hundreds of hours to scouting and my community.
If you don't think I acted properly as a member of the male gender, I suppose that's your business, but your insult was very real whether intended or not.
PM me if you'd like to continue this privately.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM

SperryWater is on a distinguished road

I have 3 boys in scouts - one just crossed over to Boy Scouts, one entering Webelos, and one starting as a Tiger next year but I wasn't aware of the fly tying merrit badge - good idea!

One other thing I have done to introduce the boys to fly fishing is to bring a fly rod along on our summer and fall camping trips. Most scout campgrounds have a lake or pond and it provides a great opportunity to introduce the kids to fly fishing in a relaxed (for them) setting.

I've been a den leader and am currently an assistant cub master. My wife is also a den leader and a lot of the moms are involved and do an awesome job. I am thankful for anybody who is willing to step up and volunteer there time. It would be great if more folks took the time to get involved with their kids - scouting or otherwise!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

There is a picnic table down on the San Juan River where the scouts helped the fishers out. So yes. I don't tie flys but I have given tips on casting to several Scouts and troop leaders.

I totally agree. Give when you can. Our future streams and support will land on those younger than us.

CritterGetter..

PS.. The guide told me the troup hiked in all the concrete and stuff without hitting up the guides. They would have help the troops as well.