The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:04 PM

djsonicimpulse is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice from experienced Pike Fisher

Will poppers work with pike in the early spring after first ice thaw. If not what works well?

Thanks

Kenny
Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice from experienced Pike Fisher

Early spring the Pike will be shallow, and you can often sight fish them. If you drop anything right in front of them and move it they will most likely hit it. As far as flies go, the two best are the Reynold's Pike Fly, and the Dahlberg Mega Diver. The latter being as close to a popper as I toss at 'em. I used to tie them with one color heads, which work fine but I'm getting fancier in my old age. Have you ever tied leaders for Pike fishing?

Click the image to open in full size.
The other good fly. (Not that these are the only ones that work)

Here is the Dahlberg Diver in action, very good video, well done.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:31 PM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Poppers will work for pike. Ask any bass fly-fisher who has lost several to toothy critters. However, like Diver Dan, I prefer deerhair divers, popularized by Dave Dalhberg, and Dan's examples are good ones. I've usually done best with Charthruse, whie or black, and I prefer long artifical fiber tail (like Fish Hair or Harabou) to bunny strips because the shed water more easily and therefore are less work to cast. That's how Dalhberg originally designed them. The should also have weed guards, especially if the fish are in pickerel weeds, as is often the case in shallow bays.

Like Dan said, you need a good leader. TygerWire or American Leader Wire offer very thin stranded stainless steel material (25 - 30# test is good) that is knotable and keeps those toothy guys from cutting you off.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

The only way I will fish for Pike is up in the shallows, where the weed beds will be and then later when they have regrown. I fish them in less than 3' of water, more often in less than 2. Good luck!
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeflyguy2 View Post
deerhair divers, popularized by Dave Dalhberg,

artifical fiber tail (like Fish Hair or Harabou) to bunny strips because the shed water more easily and therefore are less work to cast. That's how Dalhberg originally designed them.
That's Larry Dahlberg, and the originals were tied with "Big Fly Fiber" but Larry now prefers Rabbit for tails because the action is better. If you have a hard time casting Rabbit, you have to small a rod or need to eat more Wheaties.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

That has got to be the coolest, punk rocking, psycadyllic, boogie bug diving Dahlberg I've ever seen in my life.

I'm copying that one to my album and telling my buddies not to come down here for tapon without a half dozen EXACTLY like it.

That'll drive em nuts.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Dan,

That has got to be the coolest, punk rocking, psycadyllic, boogie bug diving Dahlberg I've ever seen in my life.

I'm copying that one to my album and telling my buddies not to come down here for tapon without a half dozen EXACTLY like it.

That'll drive em nuts.

Thanks,
Jim
Thanks wjc,
I've been having fun with Deer hair. Check out this one I did with Icelandic Sheep for a tail.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Dan,

If you ever set down to tie more of the punk rockers or blue sheep, I'd like to buy a couple of each tied on a 3/0.

I'd like to give them a try late May early June at night on an outgoing tide for tarpon.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM

djsonicimpulse is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice everyone