The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Need your thoughts on Simms Waders

G3 Guide waders or Simms G3 Guide Convertible

I have purchased the g3 Guide Waders but i think my heart is on the Convertibles I like how they are pants and waders? cost is not a problem and just really confused about which one to get.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:30 AM

bonneville54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need your thoughts on Simms Waders

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallieman View Post
G3 Guide waders or Simms G3 Guide Convertible

I have purchased the g3 Guide Waders but i think my heart is on the Convertibles I like how they are pants and waders? cost is not a problem and just really confused about which one to get.
From a post awhile back.....

Love 'em (so far)

Just bought a pair and really love the idea of "convertibility". I had the earlier version Simms made, the RiverTek convertible, and really liked the option of using them just as a pant wader...great for those hot summer days on small streams, particularly here in CA. They finally wore out so I bought these.

I've used them about a dozen times so far and found them to be very comfortable. Having said that, I've always found wader fit to be very personal...so go try 'em on. The suspenders are comfortable, I like the built in belt...so, yeah, a qualified thumbs up.

Now....a wee caveat. The suspenders attach via a hook and loop setup and I found that when donning the waders, these can become "unhooked". Not a big deal, a very minor annoyance and quite easy to re-attach.

Good product.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Smallieman,

I am afraid that this is a decision you need to make yourself. Go some where that you can try on the convertibles before you buy a pair. I think you will find that most of the time you will wear them one way. I never liked the added material stuck down in my pants. It also blocks the pants from breathing as much where the material is folded over. I use Simms Guide pants and have never felt like I was missing anything because I couldn't wear them as full waders. In my case I got to a place where I couldn't wade as deep and the pants works just fine for me. No need for a convertible pair.

I urge you to try the convertibles before you buy them. You will know right off if they are for you.

Frank
Old 03-15-2010, 07:02 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I own the convertibles and love them. They are everything they are marketed to be. I have had many days where I converted from the standard wader to the guide pant as the day got warmer. It takes about as much time as it does to disrobe when you have to make a bathroom stop. They are lighter and take up less room in my gear bag, too.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I have the G3 Guides and have been very happy with them. I agree with Frank though...you will just have to decide what works best for you. Either way I do not think you will be disappointed with your choice. Simms is hard to beat.
Tuck