The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 PM

battnkll07 is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Warranty

Just wondering if anyone here has bought an orvis rod on ebay or out of the classifieds somewhere that didn't come with a warranty card and was registered under the original owner. I am trying to find out if i buy a used rod from someone and the rod is registered through their name if i break the rod while using it or even if an accident occurs will orvis repair or replace the rod even though i am not the original owner?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Orvis Warranty

I suggest you log on to Orvis Store: Quality Men's Clothing, Women's Clothing, Fly Fishing Gear, Dog Beds, Home Furnishings, Luggage, Travel, Hunting, and Gifts; Since 1856. and you can do a "Live Chat" with an Orvis rep - ask them your question to make sure you get the "official" policy.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

Official policy is no they will not. Warranty only applies to original owner. However have a buddy who used to work there and says they never check.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM

I am not sure what the deal is. My brother broke a rod last year and sent it back to them they never asked where he bought it and he never sent the registration card in they just sent him a new one. I dont want to cheat the company because they do honor their warranty but. It is high risk buying a used rod for a couple hundred dollars and then if you break it you are out of that money. Anyone ever buy one second hand and then send it back with orvis knowing you were not the original owner?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

My understanding is that the official policy is that the warranty only goes to the original owner. However, if I am not mistaken, Orvis does not put serial #s on their rods so there is no way for them to verify if you are actually the original owner of that rod. Orvis tends to be much more slack than other rod makers as far as requiring that you send in the warranty card.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get a good price on a nice rod, I'd take it. In 30+ years, I've only
broken two rods, both the victims of car doors.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Frank,

You must be more careful with your rods than I am - I have broken/damaged 4 rods in the last 10 years, sent them all in for replacement, and was only charged the repair service fee on 2 of them (#1 & #2). (1 - broke while fighting fish, 2 - broken ferrule due to unknown cause, 3 - cork handle defective, and 4 - broken snake guide) and I have absolutely no idea how a wire snake guide can be broken without being bent - they assumed it was defective! Maybe I'm just hard on my equipment!

So for me a warranty is a good thing to have, but that may not be the case for everyone.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM

I am hard on my equipment as well although i have never broken a rod i dont know how though i am guilty of shoving my rod tip into the bottom of the stream a dozen times a day to get a fly un hooked. Thinhs happen though and i dont want to be stuck with a broken rod. My brother never broke a rod before until this past year he broke 2. I found some good deals on rods with no warranty cards i think i will take the chance that orvis will understand the circumstances. I have 4 other rods registered with them maybe that will help me out.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Orvis will fix your rod without a warranty, so just do the math on good price
vs. repair cost=possible good deal.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Another option is, if you were to break your rod, to be completely upfront with Orvis and tell them the story behind the rod. Worst case, you pay for the repair, which most likely still will put you ahead in the game, $-wise...