The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Cabela's Treated me right today

I was out on the river this morning, I must have hit the rod with a bead head or something in the past, but in any case the rod snapped right above the top ferrule while I was casting about 30 feet of line.

Now, I had planned on being on the water for about 4 hours, and I was about an hour and a half into the trip. Tried to roll cast the broken rod, but, not too successful, decided I would just call it a day.

Got back to the jeep, and thought, it pretty much sucks to have to end the day early, so I picked up the phone and called Cabela's.

I got a hold of the fly fishing area of Cabela's in Reno (actually it is considered to be in Verdi), told him what happend, he asked what rod I was fishing, and had me hold on a minute. When he came back to the phone he said he had one in stock and on the counter for me and to come on up and we would get it swapped out.

Well, work it out he did, I brought the broken rod in to the store, had it marked at the door, and 10 minutes later I was walking out of Cabelas with a brand new rod and was headed back to the river, no receipt, no questions, no hassle.

Total elapsed time about 45 minute, 15 minutes to cabelas, 10 to 15 do exchange, and 15 back to the river for another hour of fishing.

Now admittedly, I do most of my shopping at Cabelas throughout the year, and the 3 main guys in the Fly Area know this, and they do recognize me when I walk in - I think this is an attribute of a good "fly shop" as well. We have also had a few chats about the fishing in the Reno area. The guys in the fly fishing area are fly fisherman, at least the 3 leads, and the biggest concern I saw today, was how fast they could get me re-rigged and back on the water.

Now folks, in my book, that is service and taking care of the customer! In my opinion, this is how you are supposed to treat customers if you want them to keep coming back. You can bet I will continue to patronize this store, and you can bet I will be sending an online - "job well done" to the boss of the gent that helped me out today.

Dave
Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cabela's Treated me right today

Dave: Indeed that is great customer service! Kudos for Cabelas!

Larry
Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Likewise, kudo's to Cabela's. Nice of you also to pass the info to a lot of fly fishermen. I'm sure the guys at Cabela's would appreciate that.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:38 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

webrx,

I agree, Cabela's really seems to understand the meaning of customer service. Please make sure to send the comments to Cabela's; when I did so in the past for something really great they did for me, I was told that they actually read the compliments to their entire support staff. Cabela's believes that hearing how their service impacts the individual consumer helps motivate everyone to do a better job - obviously it works!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:44 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

thats good service for sure...what kind of Rod was it if you dont mine me askin was it one of the cabelas branded rods?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The guys at my local Cabela's are like that...Good Folks.

Dan
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto here in Kansas. The Cabelas folks are great people and do good work.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Dave, I've been in that store at least 50 times since they've opened and they've always treated me right. Since I've started fly fishing, that department (from what I've noticed) is even another notch up on the customer service level. Good to hear they took care of you.

How'd you do on the river?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I had a regular bass rod that I broke the tip on. I took it to Bass Pro Shops in Orlando and asked if they could repair it. They looked up the date of sale and said no it is too old. I asked if they could repair it if I paid or ar least get me in touch with who would have the tip. No help at all. I repaired it myself but was a bit disappointed they didn't try to help me more than just, "no we don't do that."

Frank
Old 03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Impressive customer service DaveIf I tell that story...some are going to think I'm a liar