The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Wading boots?

I'm in the market for a new pair of wading boots. But it's more confusing than I would have expected.

I'm in my mid-60's, so traction and stability are my primary concerns, i.e., I don't want to fall down any more often than I have to.

Apparently felt is out, although many experienced fisherpeople are sticking with it. The new Simm's Vibram soles are getting a lot of PR, but how good are they?

Looking at Simms, the BOA shoes are attractive because of easy in-and-out, but I'm told they're heavy! The guide shoes ($199.99) have a following because of the ankle support.

And if you do go with the Simms Vibram soles, you have a choice of 3 different cleats: hardbite star cleats, alumnium star cleats, and reg studs. These may me used in combination.

There are no ff stores here where I can try these out. So I relying on y'all for information. Thanks!
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wading boots?

Personally, i dont see how anyone would want any other type than Korkers with the changable sole. I have last years model and it is a bit different. The sole insert is a bit narrower but still works great.

You get to choose the sole you want for the different traction needs. I have worn the felt, rubber and metal studded. All left me feeling sure footed.
Fishing Wading Boot | Chrome | Korkers

The BOA lace system is great. Easy in, easy out and always a nice snug fit. I have been tempted to get the new model boot but my current ones are still in great shape.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:18 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have starbite cleats and studs on the G4's. They are heavy but I don't walk miles upon miles. I really like them and expect they will last quite awhile, well built.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Agree with the Korkers recommendation. I bought a pair of Chromes and they are light and easy for wading and hiking. The main highlight is the ability to change sole type very quickly. The variety of soles includes kling-on rubber soles, kling-on rubber soles with studs, felt soles, felt soles with studs, and a larger studded rubber sole. The boots go from $179 (2 pair of soles - kling-on & felt) to $199 (2 pair of soles - kling-on & kling-on with studs) depending on the soles packaged with the boots.

The soles sold separately are around $25. This is a good thing, as it's easy to pack an extra pair for hiking to your fishing spot with the kling-ons (vibram type sticky rubber) and then change to the studded soles later. Or, before jumping into a boat, remove the studded soles and use the non-studded. With the felt, you can use them at your discretion. I'm still not sure I'll ever be completely comfortable without felt, and the Korkers enable you to continue to use felt where legal.

The boots are comfortable and light with the quick change BOA lacing system. The say size is true, but I sized up a whole size, and they fit right.

Here's a link from another thread in this forum with additional information about the same topic:

Any recommendations for non felt boots?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

After the felt ban here in MD I bought a pair of Orvis River Guard boots. I have to say that I do not miss my felts in the least and would not go back to them if I could. These boots are fantastic. They are comfortsble as wading boots go and the stability is very good. Plus yopu can not beat the warranty on Orvis products.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 AM

TAT is on a distinguished road

Getting Korkers myself based on the ability to change out soles. Probably go with the Redsides though. While the lacing system on the Chromes is no doubt convenient, I prefer the simplicity of traditional laces. I can keep extra laces in the bottom of the vest. Not too sure what I would do if the Chromes malfunctioned.

Also, invest in a good wading staff. Worth their weight in gold for us more mature guys.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 AM

deerslayer is on a distinguished road

Just like Tracker I too got to expierience the felt ban here in Maryland. I went with the Ultralight II Lug sole from Cabela's. They are fantastic. I would never go back to felt. The sole is very thick. The shoes are light. I used the supplied studs and no slips so far. Very supportive shoe and very well made upper. I was sceptical but they proved me wrong. You can't beat the price at $59.95. I caught mine on sale @ $49.99. I'm sorry but, I can't see paying the money for the name. Does the product do the job I want it to do. That's what I look at. Good Luck deciding.!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Wading boots?

If you're in your 60's, you probably have a bad back from time to time, and the Korkers' BOA lacing system is a real help with a bad or stiff back. I've had two pair, the first generation and then the second generation which I got with the BOA system (think it was the Guide model). The current third generation - Chrome et al - does purport to have an easier sole-changing operation, and that would be a plus, since the earlier generations were in my experience difficult to do without removing the boots. Anyone here have experience with the Chromes and earlier generations that can opine on whether the Chrome soles are easier-changing than earlier models?

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 05-04-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The soles on the latest generation of Korkers are so much easier to change than the previous ones. It is a tool-less design. I have changed soles with the boots on my feet. After yanking off one sole, simply insert the front of the sole into its slot, hook the locking strap up, and press the sole into place or stand on it. It's locked solid.

I also work in the ski and snowboard industry during the winter months. The BOA system has been around at least six years if not longer. The failure rate is less than one percent. Since the BOA has been released I have only seen two boots fail. Usually the cause is user error. The lace system is stressed from the user from trying to pull all the excess cable from a too large boot.

One thing that Korkers did for this year is make the retrieval gear larger, so it takes less turns to take in cable.

Dennis
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

OK, we have Korkers fans. But any feedback on the Simms models?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley