The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What color is your bug?

I've always done best with an olive bugger, tied with either grizzy or brown
hackle. While I carry black buggers, I don't take them out unless the olive
buggers don't work. At that point, the black usually doesn't produce anything
either.

STS Bugger: I tied a few of those after seeing them on YouTube. They worked really well, and I tie all of my bugger hackle that way now.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:40 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Olive, black and white are the 3 colors I use most. I've been using white the most lately with good luck. Lots of shad in the river plus shad kill.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I've always done best with an olive bugger, tied with either grizzy or brown
hackle. While I carry black buggers, I don't take them out unless the olive
buggers don't work. At that point, the black usually doesn't produce anything
either.

STS Bugger: I tied a few of those after seeing them on YouTube. They worked really well, and I tie all of my bugger hackle that way now.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool way of tying in the hackle too. That "furry" collar really seems like it should add undulation to it motion. May I ask where you fished them (what part of the country)?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:33 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Southeast Pennsylvania is where I do 99.99% of my fishing.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Fulton county is as far east as I've fished in PA. I go north a lot, and out of State too. When I drive to Phili or the Beach I see a lot of nice looking water, just never wet a line there. Hmmm....that doesn't make much sense. i think I'll have to remedy that soon.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

If you're ever in the Philly area, there's a really nice stretch of ff'ing only
(C&R only as well) on Ridley Creek, in Ridley Creek State Park. It's about
20 minutes from Center City, near Media, PA.

My wife and I drove to San Antonio to see our son at Lackland AFB in 2006,
and I had every intention of fishing along the way. We saw lots of great
water in Tennessee, but just didn't have the time to stop. When Jr was
assigned to Dover AFB, we drove down without any rods/reels. I did have my
vest in the car, and tied a leader to a long slender branch. While my wife and
son were skeptical at first, I caught a lot of nice fish along the banks of a
red hot pond!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Too cool...that is really doing it yourself!!! I will keep those in mind. I have "the complete stream map if PA" from the Fish Commission. If I look I'll bet I can find it. Thanks.