The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default WXNW '10 (Hill Country trip report)

Well the cool kids in these parts are all atwitter over the hip goings on up the road at SXSW.

They can have it. I'll go enjoy a gorgeous river w/nw of town.

Grabbed breakfast on the way: Chilaquiles, Machacado, y Horchata. Wonderful accoutrements of South Texas.
Click the image to open in full size.

Headed out to utilize a beautiful day-

Had a nice short drive to the river, and was able to sight cast to some bass within 20 minutes of getting my feet wet. I'm a fan of ALL that. Caught a few, some weren't interested. So it goes with super clear water and cool temps for these guys.

Saw the biggest gar I've ever seen in a Hill Country river. This thing was easily 50" long and 10" in diameter. (The local norm is more like 28" and 5")

That section got a little crowded with yokels, so I went back above the crossing.

Purdy crick indeed-

Kept catching 10" bass. This photo technique doesn't turn out so good-

This one almost did-

Kept on moving up into this canyon, (mo pretty than fishful)

Where some texican alpinists left some gear-

Finally got the first sunfish for the day. (very odd for this river) This guy absolutely glowed in the sun, pic does no justice-

Worked my way back down to the car, and picked up at least as many fish in the last hour as I did prior to that. I think I caught about 20, only 3 were sunfish, and I got to sight-cast to most of them. That's pure fun, even if you don't break 12".

New rod works on the green troots too (review pending)-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WXNW '10 (Hill Country trip report)

Great report and pics Big,the canyon area is beautiful...surprising it's not very fishful
Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Thanks Cliff, that is a great report. That is awful clear water for Texas unless it is a tail water. At least compared to the rivers I saw when I was there.

Frank
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Great report and pics Big,the canyon area is beautiful...surprising it's not very fishful
The water in there was a little too fast to hold too many that day. Under normal conditions its likely prime, especially when its hot and the feesh need some shade.

Quote:
Thanks Cliff, that is a great report. That is awful clear water for Texas unless it is a tail water. At least compared to the rivers I saw when I was there.

Frank
Glad you enjoyed it.

That river tends to stay fairly clear, but the conditions on that day made it even moreso: most algae died off after a colder than usual winter, recent near-flooding washed out lots of accumulated crud, and the river had been slowly dropping over the past 3 weeks to let it settle down even more. Its rained since then and likely has muddied back up a bit. When more stagnant and warm in the summer it looks more like this- Gray day on the Medina

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I enjoyed your trip report Cliff. You've got a pretty spot there.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

BigCliff: Enjoyed reading your trip report as always! Some great photos to boot! I just watched Trout Bum Diaries, Vol II, New Zealand, and that stream with it's crystal clear water reminded me of the rivers in New Zealand.

Larry
Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Good report Cliff and nice pics...That is a pretty stream.

Dan