The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Simms Wet Wading Shoes & Sandals

For awhile now, I have been looking for a better solution for wet wading. Currently, I wear regular wading boots with socks and Simms Guard Socks. This works fine and doesn't require the purchase of a new pair of shoes. The problem here is that the couple of pairs of boots that I wear fit a little looser when wearing the guard socks as opposed to when I wear them with waders. Nothing bad, but not optimal.

In the past, I have tried different sandals and types of water shoes. The main problem here has been that the soles/tread on these normally leave something to be desired when on wet slick rocks, etc..

I see that Simms now has some new offerings that might be the answer in the StreamTread Sandal (Simms Fishing Products : : StreamTread? Sandal) and RipRap Shoe (Simms Fishing Products : : RipRap Shoe). It looks like both of these were built on regular wading boot type soles. It looks as though both allow the use of studs or cleats. These look really intriguing. My question is: Has anyone actually seen these in person or had the chance to try them out yet? I would love to hear some reviews/thoughts on them.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simms Wet Wading Shoes & Sandals

Txbevo: I haven't tried either of those, but a couple years back the wife and I were on a road trip with the bikes and I reserved a guided trip with South Fork Outfitters on the South Fork. It was a float trip so I called and asked whether or not I would need my waders/wading boots, they said not really, so to cut down on the luggage on the bike I decided to just use my Keen sandels, they look alot like the Simms Streamtread Sandel but probably don't have the traction that the Simms sandel has. My primary problem I encountered while wading was that my ankle would tend to roll with out the normal support from my wading boots and the other issue that was a real pain was that little pebbles would get inside the sandel and I kept having to take the sandel off to rinse out the pebbles.
For wet wading I really like my wadng boots with the Simms wading socks.

Larry

Larry
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 PM

kevin2 is on a distinguished road

man, I wade 90% of the year in my crocs! they get stuck in mud, the fall off and float to the surface, but they are comfy & I can put them on with OR without waders so fast it will make your head spin! That is the key, fast on and off FOR me.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

As far as traction goes, I doubt you'll see much improvement with any rubber sole. If you wanna try out something like that Simms shoe without dropping $100, check these out- World Wide Sportsman Copper River II Water Shoes for Men
cm_ven=bazaarvoice&cm_cat=RLP&cm_pla=97584&cm_ite= productname_link Their site lists them at $50, but they were on sale for $35 the last time I was in the local store.

I've waded some in Crocs, and can't really recommend it due to how easy it is for pebbles to hop in the back. They work well if you're going to spend 90% of the day in a canoe, but I find wading in them frustrating.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.