The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 01:32 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone have experience with Redington's customer service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
And the rod was $60? Why fuss?

I don't return Big Mac's for imperfect pickle placement.
I understand what you're saying, but why should I accept less than what I paid for? If they're going to sell rods with cosmetic defects, they should market them as seconds.

I am not complaining about getting a crooked guide, nor do I expect perfection from a $60 rod, I just don't want to pay $30 for shipping a replacement rod.

Last edited by stasher1; 03-22-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi stasher1,

The picture is not very clear but it looks like the next guide is biased to the left also. If that rod has alignment marks they may be off. Or, the grip may be misaligned or, it is built that way.

These things happen and I don't think you are being nitpicky about expecting the rod to be right. I am sure you read the warranty before buying and you shouldn't expect Redington to change the rules for you. But, I bet if you call them they will work with you. You should only have to change the grip piece.

I would return it to the dealer and have them send you a new rod. That keeps your cost down to shipping one way. If you bought it from Ebay these are the perils you face dealing with that type of sale. A good dealer would take care of it for you.

Frank
Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

I called Redington's customer service number, but the woman who answered was unable to help. She said the warranty dept staff had all gone to lunch and to give them a call tomorrow afternoon if I don't receive a reponse to my email before then.

I'll give them a call tomorrow, but at this point I'm getting tired of dealing with it. I don't think a $60 rod is worth investing a whole lot of my time. I'm already shopping for a new rod to replace this one, perhaps a TFO Professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
The picture is not very clear but it looks like the next guide is biased to the left also. If that rod has alignment marks they may be off. Or, the grip may be misaligned or, it is built that way.
After looking the rod over again this evening, I believe this to be the case. The next guide is in line with the stripper guide, so apparently the grip is misaligned. I think I may be able to "tweak" the hood a bit and shift the reel clockwise to make everything line up properly. I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what I can accomplish.

Last edited by stasher1; 03-22-2010 at 08:07 PM.