The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 04:40 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone have experience with Redington's customer service?

I picked up my first fly rod a few weeks ago, an 8' 5wt Redington Crosswater (two piece). My line hadn't arrived at that time so I didn't bother to attach my reel until a week or so ago. When I did, I saw that the stripper guide is noticeably crooked. It doesn't appear to effect the function of the rod, but it's the first thing I see when I pick it up. I'll snap a pic of it in a little while and add it to this post.

Now, according to Redington's site I have to pay to ship the rod back to them and pay another $30 for them to ship a replacement rod back to me. That's at least $40 I have to shell out to replace a $60 rod that they screwed up.

Has anybody here dealt with their customer service dept and if so, how strict were they on the $30 shipping?

Or, am I being nitpicky in expecting the guides to be straight?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by stasher1; 03-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone have experience with Redington's customer service?

If you have not used the rod, ask the retailer that you bought the rod from to do an exchange.

MP
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM

I have used the rod, and the crooked guide doesn't seem to effect the function of the rod. It just doesn't look right.

I was told on a another forum, that offsetting the stripper guide to the left is a common practice on fly rods since many paople strip line with their left hands. I'm not sure I buy this explaination.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it back to your retailer anyways. Let it deal with Redington customer service.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Stasher,

I wouldn't worry about it. I am one of the guys who purposely cocks the guides 45 degrees off (to the right). By doing this, I get none of the "haul jam" on long casts that happens nearly every time I cast a long line with the guides facing the way they are supposed to be.

"Haul jam" is when the line stops dead in the guides on the forward cast about 3/4 of the way through the haul. It was a competition distance caster who told me about this remedy.

Click the image to open in full size.

It still works fine while fighting even large fish. I grabbed this frame from a video I was taking while catching this fish. You will notice that the stripping guide is angled off to the right.

However, you need to tighten the ferrules very tight so as not to either break the rod or cast part of it in the water. After a day in the hot sun, it sometimes is necessary to wrap the male side of the ferule with a package of frozen black eyed peas to get the sections apart.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 03-21-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Add Pic
Old 03-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Bring it back to your retailer anyways. Let it deal with Redington customer service.
I wish I could, but I ordered it online (I know, I know). Whether I ship it back to the vendor or Redington, I still have to ship it. I think Redington should be responsible for replacing the rod (if necessary), since the vendor really didn't do anything wrong. It would've been nice if they had removed the rod from the rod sock and inspected it before shipping, but even then, they might not have noticed the crooked guide without a reel in place.

I'm going to call their CS dept tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I'm prepared to eat the shipping to send them the rod, I just don't feel I should have to pay $30 for shipping a replacement rod.

I'm in the market for a 8wt fly rod for bass, and the way their CS handles the situation will definitely help me decide which one to buy.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Well I would think the best thing would be to email Redington and ask (never works with most) and then call them (tele) and ask after getting some input from seller/dealer.

I think your problem will be solved shortly if you know how to talk softly and of course know how to do the W.T.F. dance.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I called Redington a few years ago with a question about the RS2 rods (needed to know if the replacement warranty was in effect since it was
discontinued before I bought one). The woman I spoke with was very kind and helpful. I had a tech question about guide sizes on another Redington RS2 7wt, and the head of marketing called me back. He spent about 25 minutes talking fishing, rods, etc, and assured me that if I didn't like the CPS line of rods, he'd personally buy it back!

I think they'll treat you right...
Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 PM

That's kind of what I figured. I fired off a quick email to their warranty dept earlier today with a pic of the guide. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
I have used the rod, and the crooked guide doesn't seem to effect the function of the rod. It just doesn't look right.
And the rod was $60? Why fuss?

I don't return Big Mac's for imperfect pickle placement.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.