The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 10:17 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indicators....Again

During our trip to Ridley Creek yesterday, I couldn't help but notice some people were using large indicators. I stated before that my own personal opinion is that the large types look too much like bobbers for my tastes, and you can see a large red bobber/indicator being used by the guy standing behind me:
Click the image to open in full size.

The guy standing just upstream of him had a red bobber/indicator that was even larger! I noted a month ago that I've used all of my Cortland foam
indicators, and since I can't find any in the stores, I'm using the left over material that the indicators were stamped from. I couldn't imagine going back to something larger now, but that's just me. The section I'm standing in is ff'ing only, but a non-fly angler walking past might get a different impression based on the large red bobbers being used.....

*Not a sanctimonious rant, just an observation.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Indicators....Again

Well, from that picture Frank, they are not fly casting but fly swinging or flipping. That would not qualify as "fly fishing" in many states.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 AM

drumstix61 is on a distinguished road

Frank,

1st off,nice Brown!

I never used to use them for the very reason stated.
They remind me of Bobber Fishing with a Spin Rig.
Not Altruistic or pure I thought.(Cheating?)

But,
by chance, a friend said they were very helpful when Nymphing.

Still not convinced,
I tied on a small amount of red Amnesia.
It did help me notice more Takes.

So one fine day on a Native Stream I figured WTH,let's try em out.

And I was rewarded with a great Lesson.

If you get more Strikes on a Indicator than your Nymph...

It's time to make your Indicator a Dry with some Hi-Viz material in them.

Just run a Dry and Nymph Dropper.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Well if you are into dotting tees and and crossing eyes you can think about it for awhile. But remember it is fishing whatever works works to have some fun. We are not painting the sixteenth chapel with the proper numbe paint brush doing a east to west stroke with the wind in the right direction if you catch my meaning here.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I'm still using ones that I got with orders, or that I've found. Only use them about 50% of the time because I become a nut case thinking about how many strikes I miss, lol. That said, the reason I'm posting is to say one of the hot ones at my FF club is the minature (real tiny) party balloon. Trying them next.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:40 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Well if you are into dotting tees and and crossing eyes you can think about it for awhile. But remember it is fishing whatever works works to have some fun. We are not painting the sixteenth chapel with the proper numbe paint brush doing a east to west stroke with the wind in the right direction if you catch my meaning here.
I am so sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk here. By sixteenth did you mean "Sistine"? As in the famous cathedral in the Vatican? If you did I am still laughing out loud....that is too funny! If you didn't mean that, then......sorry...
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Fank,

The Cabela's in Hamburg had those Cortland indicators clearanced out a bit ago. Not sure if they are still there but they were like a buck a pack if they are they might be worth the run up there.

Ant
Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering what happened with the Cortland indicators. Seems like none of the stores has them, and I'm too cheap to pay more for the Orvis types.
I never used an indicator until a couple of years ago, but I found the Cortlands on sale, so I bought them. The trout in the above took my Weenie with a vengeance, so no indicator was needed there. He wailed that thing! I did have a strike on my little yellow piece of foam indicator material later, and if we weren't just about done, I would've tied a foam beetle on. Oh well...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I tried to use yard indicators but after they got soaked I couldn't see them that well. I picked up a pack of the Cortlands in neon pink so I doubt I'll miss those. Looking forward to try them out in 2 weeks.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:12 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

all my leaders have a 1 inch piece of orange fly line on the butt section. never used indicaters before but with age goes the eyes
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..