The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 09:34 PM

jook13 is on a distinguished road
Default An introduction/First time flyfishing today

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I have been fishing my whole life via spinner rod and reel. I am 27 years old and today was my first time out flyfishing.

I grew up in a town called Bishop CA, some of you may know the area. I moved here to Prescott Arizona when I was 12. Growing up where I did, fishing was a big part of my life. Moving here was kinda depressing as far as the fishing goes. There are still plenty of trout to be caught around here, but its not close to the same.

Maybe I watched A River Runs Through It enough times, I dont know. I just up and decided to take on flyfishing. I bought a fairly cheap rod and reel, geared up, then headed to a small lake today. The first few hours were embarrasing to say the least. I lost about half a dozen flies to the trees way behind me or straight up whipped them off. I have read books and lurked on this site for a while, so I thought I knew the basics. After a few hours, I started to get the hang of it. My leader started to land less coiled, I started to feel comfortable with my new way to fish. This was about the time a big truck backed up to the lake and started unloading little rainbows into the lake, right next to me. Haha, what a way to learn how to flyfish. These little guys jumped up and ate whatever fly I threw out there. I felt like I was cheating, like it was shooting fish in a barrel.

I had a blast my first outing, and it is the first of many. I am hooked. I love this forum so far, you will be seeing me around from time to time.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM

flyguyvr4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An introduction/First time flyfishing today

Hello jooke!

I am still new to im glad that you actually got to catch fish your first day. I remember my first day out, i hadnt a clue how to do anything.

And I didn't catch any fish.

But i'm 4yrs solid now and I keep learning something new every time a take a trip. It is an addicting art I tell you.

well hope you can learn tons. Cheers!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Congrats! And welcome to the addiction....

You lucked out with the hatchery truck-- don't expect every time to be like that.

You said that you've lurked for a while and likely already know this, But: There is a great group of people here ready and willing to answer anything that you might have questions on--- fire away!

And I look forward to hearing of your progress and successes. I also look forward to learning a thing or two from you.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Josh: Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your first fly fishing adventure and I hope you continue to enjoy the great sport of fly fishing. You grew up close by where Jimmie lives, you two could probably trade some good CA fishing stories. I grew up in Arroyo Grande, CA but didn't get into fly fishing until I moved to CO while I was in the Air Force.
You might want to check with your local fly shop and see if there are any local fly fishing clubs in your area. That is a great way to learn from others on how to fly fish. Good luck and be sure to ask questions, we have some great people on this forum that will try and help, all you have to do is ask!

Larry
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Josh, Welcome to the forum and your new passion in life...

Dan
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Warmwater species sound like the ticket for you. I'm in Kansas, and there isn't a body of water that can sustain trout all year that's within two hours drive. But there's all kinds of other waters and fish that are a blast to catch--some of them in walking distance.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM

jook13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Warmwater species sound like the ticket for you. I'm in Kansas, and there isn't a body of water that can sustain trout all year that's within two hours drive. But there's all kinds of other waters and fish that are a blast to catch--some of them in walking distance.
Most people would think that very same thing when i mention Arizona . Prescott here is actually over 5000 feet high in elevation, its surrounded by Pines. We have some bass fishing, but most fishing here is lakes with trout (little stockers). There is some killer bass fishing down around Phoenix, about an hour away.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Last edited by jook13; 03-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

from across the pond,congrats for catching fish on your first outing....
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Welcome Josh
Congrats on you first fish my first one took a long time

Chris
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

Welcome! While we have excellent trout fishing here in Iowa it is two hours or more away from me so it is a expedition to go trout fishing. Prior to fly fishing I was a tournament bass angler so making the switch to fly bass fishing was easy. I honed my fly casting on local ponds fishing for bass and bluegills so when I went trout fishing I felt more comfortable with casting. Plus, on those occasions where I want to go fishing but don't have the time to chase trout I can drive 5 minutes from my house and fish at a local pond.