The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default How much for a pro build?

Hello,
Hw much would you guys expect to pay for a pro build? I'm looking at a nice SAGE rod and I'm trying to figure out if the price (which includes building the rod) is fair.

Also, I understand that a rod can be built poorly and ruin a perfectly fine blank. What do you look for when assessing the quality of a build?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much for a pro build?

Last year I bought for a friend of mine a TCX 9'#4 built by Wayne Johnson from Angler's Habitat...great job at a very decent price
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I build rods and have to tell you, that question is far to vague to give you any kind of figure. Which blank? What reel seat do you have in mind? Do you want a plain grip that was pre-made or do you want something a bit flashier turned by the rod maker? What kind of guides do you want on the rod? Do you want a feather inlay or some type of thread art on the rod? With what you have in the question, the only answer you can get is like the one JP gave you. The name of a fair priced builder, but not what you should expect to pay.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:38 PM

medicine bow is on a distinguished road

The others are correct. I build rods and sometimes what i'll charge is more than what you can purchase from the rod manufacturer. Sometimes the cost is less. It really depends on what you want in a rod. I know that isn't much help.

Sometimes people want a really nice blank but will cut costs with a different grade of cork or seat. Rubber o-rings (personally, I don't care for them) will lower the cost over a nice nickel-silver check. Alot of times a manufacturer makes a rod that just doesn't appeal to a person due to the color of the windings, stlyle of cork, or wood in the reel seat. This is where you could build the rod you want for about the same cost as one built by the manufacturer.

I hope that helps clear things up some.

Last edited by medicine bow; 03-24-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: clarification of explanation
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There are always a bunch of custom built Sage rods on ebay. I just did a quick search and found this guy: CLICK HERE If you click on his feedback, he's built a variety of Sage rods, and the prices seem fair if the work is as good as it looks. He certainly has a large base of happy customers.

With a custom rod, I would want to know how long a builder's turnaround time is if you break a section. Sage might take a couple weeks, but you'll have to
trust a builder's word when he quotes you a repair schedule.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Thank you guys. Next time, I'll ask how to fly fish, that way, I will get a straight forward answer!

PS: I purchased the rod: A 9' 3wt SAGE z-axis. Will report on the build quality as soon is I get it!
Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 AM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
There are always a bunch of custom built Sage rods on ebay.
That's why I'm afraid to purchase from eBay. When someone says he has a Sage Z Axis for sale, he might have made the rod himself....... and done a lousy job!! LOL
He isn't lying, it might be a Z Axis blank...... but it won't be great quality like a Z Axis from the factory.
I think a lot of classified forums are the same thing. A rod builder who makes rods to sell a little cheaper than the manufacturer.
Buy direct young man!! April Orvis is having a 20% off sale to preferred customers. That's a big saving on a Helios.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM

flyguyvr4 is on a distinguished road

Help me understand. The guy on ebay is a builder for Sage and builds custom rods for Sage and sells them to customers? Or bought a Sage blank and built a custom rod out of it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
There are always a bunch of custom built Sage rods on ebay. I just did a quick search and found this guy: CLICK HERE If you click on his feedback, he's built a variety of Sage rods, and the prices seem fair if the work is as good as it looks. He certainly has a large base of happy customers.

With a custom rod, I would want to know how long a builder's turnaround time is if you break a section. Sage might take a couple weeks, but you'll have to
trust a builder's word when he quotes you a repair schedule.
Frank,

This is kind of off the theme of this thread, but does it really take Sage a couple of weeks to get a broken rod or broken section of a rod replaced?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Frank,

This is kind of off the theme of this thread, but does it really take Sage a couple of weeks to get a broken rod or broken section of a rod replaced?
I have broken a sage rod and it took around 2 weeks to get it back. TFO has a better turn around time though, i had a broken rod back in just over a week.