The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are your TOP 3 Flyshops - Top down order

1. The Evening Sun Fly Shop - Pepperell, MA - Charlie has a great selection of tying materials, he's very knowledgeable, a great guy, and his postage/ shipping charges are very low.

2. Murray's Fly Shop - Edinburg, VA - Harry is one of the best in Shenandoah regional knowledge & fly fishing supplies.

3. Stillwater Fly Shop - good group to deal with and another with very reasonable shipping prices.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:41 PM

creekbum is on a distinguished road

Hello whalensdad, speaking of NY flyshops, is Carl Colemans flyshop, in Spencerport, NY....just outside of Rochester still in business?? Used to go see him years ago and always enjoyed his shop. Spent too much money there......john
Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What are your TOP 3 Flyshops - Top down order

I'm going for great fly shops now gone! In no particular order:

General Fishing Tackle in Colorado Springs when Tony Gross owned it and Puterbaugh and Fling taught the classes. Quite a place!

Propps in Spokane when John Propp ran it although it was still a great place when the shop changed hands and was/is? called the Blue Quill!

Silver Bow in Spokane when Jim Pruedente ran it although it's still a going concern I just can't really comment on it now as I've not had a chance to get a taste of it under new owership! I do suspect it in fine hands just from their Facebook presence and calender of interesting events.

Any shop where Dave Olson hang his hat--who was the manager when I worked at the Fly Fisherman in Orlando but now has moved to Miami I've heard and is still offering his considerable expertise and great service.

Another interesting shop and still going is White's in Spokane as it's equally divided between general fishing, great clothing and "boots," of course and a great fly fishing section.

Worldwide Sportman in Islamorada--one of the pinnacle shops for the salt water fly angler! Still going of course! Well I could keep going with shops such as the Fly Fisherman in Titusville, and many others across the US but I have to face it my Truck has built in "fly shop finder" software and I've found most of them and most generally find some good if not great in each!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

1. Bear's Den, Taunton, Mass.
2. Classic Outfitters, Burlington, Vt.
3. Lower Forty, Worcester, Mass.

Honorable mentions: Sierra Trading Post for discontinued/closeout items, eBay for used/collectible items

Gone but not forgotten: Hunter's Angling Supplies, New Boston, N. H.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Kaufmann's Streamborn- Tigard, OR(now closed about 2 weeks)
The Patient Angler- Bend, OR
The Deschutes Angler- Maupin, OR

These three shops all made impressions on me as i was just starting out fly fishing. They all helped me significantly in some way.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road

dont really have a top 3 because im kinda new to this, but I have had great experiences at trout bum 2 in PC, UT. Amazing guys up there and they are really helpful
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

1) Creekside fly shop, Salem, OR: The owner has been guiding for many years and has great info. Knows the hot fly.
2) kaufmann's streamborn, Tigard, OR: Friendly employees. If there is a hot new piece of gear you want to check out, they usually have it here.
3)Redtruckflyfishing.com,Unknown?: Great deals on shirts and everything else. I find myself checking this website often. The website is navigable.

thonyb
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

In no particular order:
  • Dornen's Fly Shop, Moose, Wyoming.
  • Float 'n Fish, Navajo Dam (San Juan), New Mexico.
  • ATF Fly Shop, El Paso, Texas.
  • High Country Flies, Jackson, Wyoming.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thonyb View Post
3)Redtruckflyfishing.com,Unknown?: Great deals on shirts and everything else. I find myself checking this website often. The website is navigable.
Redtruckflyfishing is an online storefront of one of the forum's sponsors, Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters. It is based out of San Francisco, California. The guys and girls working there are good people.

Dennis