The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a Sick Sick World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Fred: I sure hope that is true! $405 for a saddle will put the fly tiers out of the ability to buy feathers. Hopefully, the fad will fade quickly!

Larry
Exactly Larry, exactly. Ignoring the base players (Guys who write you checks day in and day out ... and) keep your 'Business Model' afloat would not be a good thing.

For Jollies I pulled a couple of packets of full hackle packets I have (purchased quite some time back, and very good quality) and one was $30.00 the other close to $45.00. I can only imagine what a commercial tier would spend in a year.

fae
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

The fad will probably die within the year, for sure by next season (fingers crossed). On the plus side, I'm sure there is an upswing in feather farming at the moment to keep up with the voracious demand. So when the fad winds change and people start making monkey back fur bracelets instead of wearing cock-a** feathers in their hair then we will be in luck. The market will be flooded with great feathers at discounted prices for those of us who are the original, and legitimate consumers of feathers.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for the new fad: kiptail hair extensions.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

have some fun with e bay.... report any feathers sold as hair extensions.. according to the rules on e bay u cant mislead... by saying they are for hair extensions they are misleading.. i have been reporting them all... the sellers are putting people at risk of some nasty things.. fly tying feathers are not cleaned for that type of use..
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctious View Post
the sellers are putting people at risk of some nasty things.. fly tying feathers are not cleaned for that type of use..
If you know there is a real problem at least here in California you could turn the hairdressers who use them into the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I wonder what the alternatives are to saddle hackle; for fly tyers, that is..............?

Pocono
False Eyelashes!!! If they're going to take our stuff, we'll take theirs!!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

I just had my hair cut last night and the girl that always cuts my hair had saddle hackle sitting there on her stand. I asked her how much she paid for the pack of 25, she said $60 I said OMG OK, I had to ask what do you charge to put them in the girls hair, she said $20 to $30 for 2 to 3-piece of saddle hackle. I once again said OMG They are making a fortune off the hackle and look at the mark-up from point "A" to point whatever.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
I just had my hair cut last night and the girl that always cuts my hair had saddle hackle sitting there on her stand. I asked her how much she paid for the pack of 25, she said $60 I said OMG OK, I had to ask what do you charge to put them in the girls hair, she said $20 to $30 for 2 to 3-piece of saddle hackle. I once again said OMG They are making a fortune off the hackle and look at the mark-up from point "A" to point whatever.
It's no wonder they are willing to pay 3 dollars per feather...When they are selling them "installed" for $10 each that's still a pretty good markup!

The bidding is now up to $455! It's like a bad car wreck...I keep looking to see how high this thing will go!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
It's no wonder they are willing to pay 3 dollars per feather...When they are selling them "installed" for $10 each that's still a pretty good markup!

The bidding is now up to $455! It's like a bad car wreck...I keep looking to see how high this thing will go!
Less than 20 minutes to go and it's still at $455. Guys, we can make a killing and when it all fades, but them back for less than what they were 10 years ago.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my God! It's up to $455!!!! I have one in my tying room just like it I paid something like $35 for. Insanity.