The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 04:21 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of
Default single hook, imitation only

Is fishing a cast (multiple flys at once) of flys in a single hook, imitation only area skirting the rules or worse yet...illegal? I suppose it depends on location but what is known among this here collective group?

thanks ahead for any input.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: single hook, imitation only

JJ: I think so! I try to remember to look to see how many hooks are allowed. Some areas allow only one, others will allow 2 and others allow 3. Take a look at the regs forthe water your fishing to be sure.

Larry
Old 03-30-2010, 08:47 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Thanks Larry, I was thinking only of double or trebble hooks, like spinner baits...meps...roostertails etc. for the hooks. then it dawned on my that three different single hook flies might mean a stiff fine. There's nothing I can find in the regs though about multiple single hook lures. I guess I'll call to be sure.

JJ: Sorry for the confusion, I didn't understand your question. I don't know the answer, but like you said, I would definitely call the fish and game folks.

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-30-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

This a frequent question in the Missouri parks I fish on vacations--is the regulation trying to exclude treble hooks, flies/lures with more than one hook, multiple flies, or all of the above? The best advice: speak to the game warden before you add a dropper and show him/her the rig if you can.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I would think that when they say one hook it means one hook only. Fishing with a two or three fly rig would be illegal. The best advice already given was to check with the local regulations; and better yet the local CO if possible. He's the one in the field that will make the determination; right or wrong.

Dan
Old 03-31-2010, 01:55 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pennsylvania: a fly is tied on a single hook. Further along in the regs, it states that "no more than 3 hooks shall be attached to a line used in fishing(one hook having two or thre points is considered a "single hook")."

Charlie Meck is a well-known Pennsylvania fly angler and author, and he often uses a tandem rig. Don't know how that translates to South Carolina, but I'm sure
it's similar: the practice is common. You shouldn't rely on the word of one CO. I recently asked two rangers if the stream coming off a stocked lake could be
fished during March when the lake was closed. They both said yes. A week later, a third ranger said no. A state conservation officer told me yes, so.....????
Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM

Just got off the phone with the officer for that area. (Chatooga delayed harvest area). they are targetting trebble hook lures. He would also cite me for a tandem hook (two hooks tied eye to hook bend to make one fly).....but multiple single hook flies (he didn't care how many) tied with line between (hopper dropper) would not be cited and is ok with him. He specifically stated he was targetting trebble hook lure users...but cautioned to make sure I have a few inches between the flies.

So, though this is absolutely specific to north eastern South carolina and in particular this one (only one like it in this area, nothing else is restricted like this). I'm ok and have not broken the law. yea. I should have thought of it first though and called. There was nothing so specific in the documented regs.

Sure would'nt apply this officers opinion to other areas of the country and it just goes to show its best to call and know. I got the feeling he doesn't get called about it often if ever.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Dry/Dropper or nymph/nymph are super popular here in CA and I often fish in highly restrictive water with a zero bag limit. Usually the easiest resource for these legal questions is the nearest fly shop.

Also you can download the regs in pdf - here are California's. I enjoy reading the regs. They give you some good ideas on where to fish. Especially entertaining to me is the section on non-fish - amphibians and reptiles. Weird and wonderful stuff.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach