The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

If you fish a lot of big water like I do,there is no better GPS than the Lowrance H2O. It has GPS and WAAS making so accurate when I walk down docks at resorts, which are on the map, it shows me not only on the dock but the side of the dock I'm on. I have the Lake Master chip for the Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River. It shows the bottom contours in 1 foot increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. You can save spots and mark them on the map with icons of your choice. You can put the cursor on a spot and "Go To" it. It does not eat batteries. It's waterproof. I've seen a lot of GPS's and they are not a patch on the butt of mine. There are a ton of really good chips for them too.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
If you fish a lot of big water like I do,there is no better GPS than the Lowrance H2O. It has GPS and WAAS making so accurate when I walk down docks at resorts, which are on the map, it shows me not only on the dock but the side of the dock I'm on. I have the Lake Master chip for the Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River. It shows the bottom contours in 1 foot increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. You can save spots and mark them on the map with icons of your choice. You can put the cursor on a spot and "Go To" it. It does not eat batteries. It's waterproof. I've seen a lot of GPS's and they are not a patch on the butt of mine. There are a ton of really good chips for them too.
Dan: It looks like the Lowrance h20 is discontinued.
GPS Handheld | LOWRANCE iFINDERŽ H2O | GPS Navigation
Do you think the Endura has all the same capabilities you enjoy in the H20?

Larry

Old 05-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I would vote for the Garmin 60CX. I have had several pver the years. I like the Etrax Legend for its size but still think the 60 series is the way to go. I have only used the new touch screen versions a little buit and they are nice butyou can not beat the price or size of the Etrex. I would seriously consider a used 60. Go Geocatching forums and plenty of good deals on a used GPS.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Im going to go another direction with this. Bushnell Bactrack. No features, size of a stop watch, one button simple to use, dead on acurate. This is far and away the easies gps to use i have ever seen. I dont think anyone could be confused by this...even a caveman. Its also $50 bucks wich is nice. I got so sick of getting lost in the features of my $500 handheld i ebayed it and got some new wading boots and the backtrack gps...best idea i ever had as i love it. It has literaly saved my life several times in Northern Canada and Michigans U.P wich is as desolite as it gets.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

My Garmin has never let me down,
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Dan: It looks like the Lowrance h20 is discontinued.
GPS Handheld | LOWRANCE iFINDERŽ H2O | GPS Navigation
Do you think the Endura has all the same capabilities you enjoy in the H20?

Larry
I hate when companies do this. The H2O is so popular here that if you go to the boat ramps on a busy day you literally can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone that has one. Why they would discontinue it is beyond me. I called them and asked them about it and they did not seem to have a reasonable answer. I'm not going to say the Endura is as good because I just don't know. They do have the GPS and WAAS, and they added stuff to some of them like the Sierra like an MP3 player. This is kind of typical for stuff I really like. If I like it, it's doomed. If you want to see the largest collection of discontinued fishing stuff in the free world, come look in my tackle room.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Motorola makes GPS' now I believe... and they look like a lot for the money. May warrant a look.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
. . . you literally can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone that has one. . . .
Has anyone actually done that? I'm guessing only in the winter, because your car trunk might get kind of ripe in the summer.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Has anyone actually done that? I'm guessing only in the winter, because your car trunk might get kind of ripe in the summer.
I like them ripe. I'm experimenting with turning them into something useful. An artificial fuel called Catahol.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM

tommyfost is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the help guys. I have to go with Hardyreels on this one. I purchased the Garmin etrex vista. I wholeheartedly agree with the topo and compass approach. As for the etrex vista, its fine, keeps your location, tells you how to get back to car/campsite, and can keep you from getting lost. Simple, "cheap", and for the most part effective.

Thanks guys,
Tommy