The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default San Juan worms--for non-trout species

Another post got me thinking about this. I have several of these taking up precious space in my fly box that I tied as my initial foray into fly-tying. The problem, is that I am a long ways from a trout and was wondering how to get some use from them.

Carp come to mind, and perhaps Buffalo. Anything else?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM

cgator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: San Juan worms--for non-trout species

Just bought some to try and on second look, they look pretty pitiful but I'm going to try them on bream. Tied in worm brown or olive, they look pretty lifelike and I think bream will welcome them. Nice thing about bream and shellcracker is they're not fussy about patterns - as long as they faintly look like some kind of bug, they'll try them.
I'm not fond of carp because they wreak havoc with bream and LM bass beds. On Bluestone Reservoir in WV when I was growing up, I've seen them roll in shallow water working the bream beds and they looked like hogs. I understand that some people eat them and I guess I would try them if I were hungry enough but I've never been quite that hungry.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have gotten Smallmouth Bass on them.

MP
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

Ditto on the smallmouth.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Bluegill and Perch ponds.. I will tie a SJ Worm with a globall and work doubles in our local DNR ponds.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM

bigcabindana is on a distinguished road

It has been a while since I tried it, but I had good luck on Small mouth bass as have a few other posters. You can tie them almost length wise on whatever size hook you want to use much the same as a rubber worm is used in bait casting. The smaller trout size San Juans work well on crappie and blue gill as well. If you are bass fishing, having some large SJ's is a good thing. Make sure they have alot of action when stripped.