The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 10:22 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Hello.

Hello,
First post of what I hope is many here. bit of backround. I grew up spin fishing inland waterways, sadly got out of fishing for the most part for the last several years. The bug is itching at me again to get back out there. After extensive youtubing on many subjects of fly fishing I have a good interest to get started this year. most of the fisheries near me are small ponds, creeks and a few larger rivers. I have a 14ft kayak that I would like to get the skill enough to fly fish from at some point, but my goal for the time will be a local creek in a park that has been closed for 2 years now reopening next month. small trout and small mouth are the usual in this creek. I am looking for guidance on a good set up for close in areas and yet decent larger river possibiliies. I have considered a 9ft 5-6 wt redingtion combo since my work gives me access to bass pro shops supplies. sorry for the long intro, I have been reading alot of threads on this site already and feel im inthe right place to find the help i seek.

Mike.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello.

Welcome to the forum Mike, and welcome to fly fishing. I don't know what redington combo you are thinking of; there are quite a few options from Redington. I'm sure there are several folks on here who have first hand knowledge with all of them.

Do you have a budget in mind, and have you considered all of the other gear that you may want/need for fly fishing? Waders, vest, fly boxes and flies? Let us know your budgetary considerations and perhaps you will get a few specific recommendations on gear. Alot of knowledge on this forum, and you will usually get answers VERY quickly.

-Jason
Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Jason, trying to stay on the lower end of things, but dont want junk either. i got to yard cast a red2fly combo last year, though not having anything to compare to. I can get most excessories from my work suppliers, I still havent check it the fly shop stuff from bass pro will be available. the shop I work for is an american rod and gun dealer, which supplies bps, but some stuff you have to go to the big store to find. luckily i have a bps with white river fly shop about an hour drive away. I use to do all my creek fishing here with out waders, but I think Ill look into it at some point. I plan to go step by step. biggest thing to figure out it waht gear will do the most for this area, I want something strong enough for bass but something to take on small trout creeks. for anyone that has been in the Louisville area before in the past, the park called Otter Creek Park closed 2 years ago, and is reopening under fish and wildlife control may 14th, few weeks from now. so another neat fishing spot will be available here soon.
Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello Mike,

I do not own any of the Reddington line of tackle but have heard nothing negative about any of the products. As today turns into tomorrow you will find that members will see your intro thread and replies will grow in number. I'm glad to hear you are interested in fly fishing and likewise glad to have you in our membership here.

Welcome,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 AM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

If Bass Pro is the convenient shopping option, I take a hard look at their selection of Temple Forks Outfitters rods. The Lefty Kreh professional Series run about $139-149. If you are looking at smaller waters with an occasional opportunity for a better quality fish elsewhere, I'd would be considering something in the 3-4wt range, though more likely 4wt in the 8'6" range for a bit of extra backbone. I'd say 90% of my fishing is done with a 7'6" 3wt, most in the Sierras.

As for a reel, as long as it balances the rod well, it's all good. Personally, I use the Lamson Konic for my set ups. It's light enough for my 2wt set-up, and perfect when I put on my 4wt spool for and match up for float tubing the 16 plus inch fish. The drag system they use is awesome.

All things equal, put most of your resources in a good rod and decent line. You can always follow up later with a reel upgrade. Best of luck and welcome back to the addiction.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Mike...looking forward to seeing your fishing pics
Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

mike,

im new here too. a couple years ago when i was thinking about getting into fly fishing i bought a reddington combo, a 9ft 6wt (i only fished it 2 times till this year where im actually fly fishing now). i like the rod, it has been serving me well. but the reel? it is plastic and a pos imo so im replacing it with an allen trout series reel. the one i have now is always peeling apart allowing line to get into the cracks and not letting me reel in. is it preventling me from fishing? no i still go out with it and have a blast catching fish. but im replacing that reel sooner than i was hoping to.

Brian
Old 05-01-2011, 11:28 AM

thanks, I have looked at the temple fork rigs, they have a few nice combos. it seems like there not as many reviews about the big store stuff as much here, but i have no need for a 600$ reel/rod combo if a 140-200$ set up will do what i need done for the amount Ill use it. I notice the plastic redington reel my friend has, seems kinda cheap. I have acess to some old rod and reels think its 5 or 6 wt, but theres no drag adjustment. I havent checked to see what shape the flyline is in since its been stored for many years. I have found a local tackle shop that carries lines and a few fly accessories that may allow me to get the old rig running to get a line wet. as for the photos, Im guessing you browsed my gallery, I do alot of adventure sport photography and recently got a soft water case for my SLR, so I hope to get some neat fishing photos in the future. If I can stand carrying the stuff with me..
mike
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Hello and welcome!
I bought my son a 5wt Redington combo this year, and I am impressed with it. Decent quality, and I found it cast very well for me. We haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but my feeling is that it will work well.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi View Post
Hello and welcome!
I bought my son a 5wt Redington combo this year, and I am impressed with it. Decent quality, and I found it cast very well for me. We haven't had a chance to fish with it yet, but my feeling is that it will work well.
good to know. thanks.