The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:05 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default catching bigger fish

I was wondering what method spey casting or regular fly casting catches bigger fish? Mainly steelhead and salmon is what I was curious most about.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: catching bigger fish

not sure what you are asking. i use a roll cast alot. i sight fish for salmon and keep casting to them. they will take it eventually........ well unless you drive them down the run into a deep pool
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if it makes any difference size wise, but I am positive spey rods catch more fish. You can cast way farther, and cover more water. You get down more effectively, because of the longer leaders. Spey rods are more fun even without the previously mentioned points.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Either form of casting will catch bigger fish. Spey casting is easier on you than the traditional back and forth casting so you can stay on the water longer without wearing out your shoulder. I think that whichever way you go, it will be presentation and location that will be the largest factor in your ability to catch bigger fish consistantly.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
I was wondering what method spey casting or regular fly casting catches bigger fish? Mainly steelhead and salmon is what I was curious most about.
I catch larger Steelhead using my Spey rod because it is what I use mostly.

What is going to be more important is where the rods will be used. The long rods are not going to come out when run is going to be more conducive to nymph fishing. The single hander is not going to be used when the run is a narrow channel 80 feet away.

Here is how I look at it.
- Close in fishing - single hander
- Distance and line control - two hander

MP
Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Morphius,

I am going to tell you something along the same line as what ThonyB has said. Dan, and Dennis are making good points concerning the application of different rods and their usefulness in given conditions.

Thony mentioned sight fishing salmon, before I had read any of the answers that have been posted to you my thoughts were; want to catch bigger fish = locate bigger fish. Thony also mentioned driving a fish into a less desirable spot by over pressuring it. There is no better tool for catching a larger fish than visually locating a fish. If you are fishing blind as you would be in deep water or at great range then you must go with pot luck, whatever takes is what is on.

Here is something to consider for a summer activity. When the water flows are at their lowest in the areas you like to fish for steelhead & salmon, go for a walk. Locate the parts of the stream channel that are often too deep for you to study the bottom during the fall and spring runs. Take note of impending snags and also large boulders that will provide a holding spot for fish when they are in the river. By taking a little time getting to know your bottom structure you will be better able to know where to cast when the fish are in.

Whether you sight fish or have reconnoitered the bottom of a river channel nothing beats knowing where to cast. Always remember this, if you can see the fish they will be able to see you. All the scouting in the world will not pay off in full unless you exercise stealth as part of your stream and river strategy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;