The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Entomology section

What are peoples thoughts on getting an entomology section? I mean, it is the life of how we fish? Well...some of us.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Entomology section

The terms section is a fun read, but needs to be compiled to be usable.
I suspect the same will be true of a bug thread.
Totally with you on the need for the thread though.
If you don't know your bugs, you're just guessing.
Hence the classic pose of the angler gazing into his fly box, for 10 min.
(I've done it too.)
I'll send a bug pic if you will.

Ralf Cutter's Trout food is worth buying. His DVD too.
Troutnut .com is also good reference spot..

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Charlie,

Although this would seem a no-brainier we have never discussed it on the open board. It would be easy to create a thread with detailed content on any particular species of aquatic insect and then 'Stick' the thread in either general or fly tying. Creating a new forum catagory would be an administrative / management decision and I'm sure Frank & Larry will be seeing this post from you.

As for the value; knowledge is a powerful tool and the more a fly fisherman knows about the environment in which he / she operates the better. Although much of the Latin nomenclature has escaped me with the passing of time, knowing the life cycles of the various insects I have imitated through the years has been a huge treasure of the mind and a tool for the hands.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

And that is why I ask. I've fished for years but never paid attnention to entomology because no one has taught me to. I'm now reading "Bugwater" and netting some aquatic life, and trying to "match" the hatch, versus throwing what I think works. As I'm staring at bugs and trying match flies to it, so many questions go through my mind. I feel that I'm having these struggle because I never had a place to ask. I've got a couple pictures of bugs caught recently I can put up.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

If we can get an Entomology section, should we have it split? how should we have it split? Lakes, streams, salt water? I will take more images as I collect stuff to support a "sticky" thread.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Hypo, the questions never end.
It's the never ending bug story.
That is why I still fish, the fish are pretty predictable, the bugs are not.
Every time I go out, I see something new.
Ard's on it, don't worry about the Latin, just seine and match.
Go to the water, whether you fish or not.
Soon, you will "see" the menu, the rest is easy.

Some bugs do cross-over, the lake/moving water catagories.
Might not need to split it up..

Jim
Old 05-01-2011, 03:26 PM

TAT is on a distinguished road

Absolutely yes.

And Cutters book and Bugwater are a definite must buy.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM

montana man is on a distinguished road

Great Idea!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

yes vote for me
Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is now on the drawing board but will take a little time to get set up and to find contributers.

If you have macro photography of any stages of aquatic insects and also photographs of your patterns to match the naturals contact me please via PM. Once I have contributers for the threads it will be easier to arrange for such materials to have their own place here on the forum.

This is a great idea and may prove to be one more solid resource here on NAFFF.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Teriffic idea. It should be fun to discuss what flies to match the naturals. It should be interesting to see some naturals. It seems that I hear more talk about the hatch or see pictures than actually seeing them in person.