The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:47 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road
Default Casting Style and Rod Choice

Well I finally got a chance to get some casting time in with my new March Brown and compare it to my son's rod (Flextec CRX88). Both are 9 foot, 5wt (the flextec calls itself a 5/6). By all accounts I've heard, the March Brown should be the better rod. Certainly it has better appointments: single foot guides, two stripping guides, nicer cork, wood inset, nicer reel seat hardware. It generally gets great reviews and seems to be considered a very nice rod that happens to come in seven pieces. The Flextec seems to be generally seen as a budget rod, a nice one, but still a budget rod.

Yet for some reason I found myself better able to cast with the Flextec. Despite the fact that the Flextec is heavier overall, and definitely thicker, I found myself working harder with the March Brown and getting worse results. With the same setup on both, I got significantly more wind knots on the March Brown (yes, I cast like a noob), and had a harder time getting the same distance. I tried both a 5 and a 6 wt line and got the same results with both, though frankly I couldn't tell a difference between the lines on either rod.

I'm wondering if the difference could be the rod action. The March Brown seems faster, something that matches reviews I've read. I've heard that moderate actions are more forgiving for those of us who can't cast worth a .... Could that account for my having a harder time with the March Brown: more wind knots, not as much distance, more tiring? Maybe I'm working against the rod rather than with it?

In any case, it seems I do better with budget gear than with the priceier stuff. Finally some fly fishing gear news my wife will be happy to hear! If anyone wants a good deal on a March Brown Hidden Water, let me know.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casting Style and Rod Choice

Some of the difference may be in the lines. Just because a rod says it's a 5wt. does not really mean it is. You may want to test the rod and see what it really is, or try a different line in it. One weight up or down if you can find one. See if you get better results.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Some of the difference may be in the lines. Just because a rod says it's a 5wt. does not really mean it is. You may want to test the rod and see what it really is, or try a different line in it. One weight up or down if you can find one. See if you get better results.
I tried both lines in both rods. I'll have to do the penny thing later and see what I come up with.

Last edited by drnihili; 04-02-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

From what I read, I think that you just figured out what your stroke is.

MP
Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
From what I read, I think that you just figured out what your stroke is.

MP
Meaning I should stick with slower rods?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnihili View Post
Meaning I should stick with slower rods?
Yep, for now at least. It seems like a medium/medium fast rod works best for you.

My brother in law is the same way. He casts medium/medium fast action rods well. When he uses my faster rods, the adjustment in timing is difficult for him.

MP
Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Seven-piece rods can be on the stiff side. You might just need time getting used to a stiffer rod.

If a slower rod works for you I don't think it means you're less of a caster.

Some good casters prefer slower rods.

Randy
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
Seven-piece rods can be on the stiff side. You might just need time getting used to a stiffer rod.

If a slower rod works for you I don't think it means you're less of a caster.

Some good casters prefer slower rods.

Randy
Oh, I'm a lousy caster, no doubt about that. I'm just a bit surprised that I'm even worse with a better rod.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I get clients who want to use their own rod, and so I end up demonstrating a cast/drift with their gear. I fish fast, to very fast rods, so I have to switch strokes to deal with a softer/slower rod. It has gotten easier for me over the years, but I appreciate how someone who only fishes one stiffness/speed, can find this a discouraging transition.
Like MP said, go with what works for you, but know that if you hang tough, you will probably be able to cast both rods well. I like a slower rod for dries, but fish a faster rod for bobber/nymphing, I think there is a place for both types. After you catch a fish on the new rod, you may like it more! Good luck working it out.
My motto, take no lip from an inanimate object.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I have to agree with Bigfly. I fish fast action rods myself mainly streamer chucking. I use to spend alot of time time getting clients fishing with my fast rods. The last couple of seasons I've been using medium action rods for my clients. They are able to pick up the casting stroke faster as a medium action rod is more forgiving. When I'm instructing new clients with the slower rods i have to lengthen and ease up on my casting stroke. When I forget I end up shocking the rod and throwing tailing loops. The same applies when I,m dry fly fishing as I use a slower rod.
Developing the casting skills to use rods of different actions is a good thing. Each has there application. Over 37yrs of fly fishing I have accumulated rods covering the full spectrum of action. I like and use them all in various situations. Rather than see you give up on a particular rod I recommend taking some casting lessons and develop the skill to cast rods of different action. It will benefit your fly fishing enjoyment in the end.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures