The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road
Cool Choosing Waders

Hey guys, I've never really used waders but my dad is buying me some for graduation, so I have a few questions.

For shoe size (stockingfoot), is it best to go with a size larger than normal shoe size?

Is LL Bean a reputable brand? I know their warranty is great.

Breathable Emerger Stocking-Foot Waders: Breathable at L.L.Bean

Lastly, I am 6'1" and skinny and there aren't any wader sizes that match my specs, but that's not a problem? It's OK if they are a little loose?

I only fish on days that end in Y.

Last edited by FliFysh; 04-15-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Choosing Waders

I bought the Orvis Silver Label waist highs last year and they have been great. As for shoe size on the stocking foot waders, they are sized for a range of foot sizes. Follow the manufacturers size guide. then choose your wading boots at least one size larger to accommodate the neoprene stocking. As for loose fit, you want them to be a little loos for ease of movement, they are not supposed to be form fitting.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

If your Dad is buying them and you know what he is getting you, can you go in and try them on with boots. Usually for the stockingfoot you go one size bigger than your foot size, but sometimes that is subjective to the cut of the boot and as well the stockingfoot. I have found that my feet would not fit through the transition area that joins the neoprene to the fabric, on waders that would have otherwise fit. If you have high arches it can be a bit of a pain, so trying them on with boots is pretty important.
My waders have a back supoport built in to the straps and if you are tall, this may help a bit, though being younger you probably don't have that issue yet.
Pocket(s) are good. I carry my wallet in an inside pocket in the front of my waders. If you have a good wading jacket you won't need too many more pockets anyway.
There will be different responses from different people, but if you get a pair from a reputable manufactirer and make sure they fit well, it will be most of the battle right there.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Can't give you a review of those two waders, but I have an opinion for the one that I think would suit you best. The Orvis waders come in standard plus "long" sizes. At your 6'1" hieght that might be a big benefit.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:03 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

I think Kerry is on the money for your situation. Try some on if you can; it will save you the heartache of buying sight unseen and then returning them. If you must buy online, call the company and desribe your "size" and they should be able to give you the right setup.

Justin
Old 04-04-2010, 01:16 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FliFysh View Post
Hey guys, I've never really used waders but my dad is buying me some for graduation, so I have a few questions.
Early congrats for you. I'm just going to repeat what others have said and add a bit to the topic.

If you can try the gear on, that will save you from a lot of headaches.

Quote:
For shoe size (stockinfoot), should I go with size larger than my Nikes?
Take your measure foot size from a Brannock Device and go to the next size up. It is important to try the boots on with the waders and socks that you will be using. You would be surprised how many people don't know the size of their feet.

Quote:
Here's a couple I'm looking at, mostly because they aren't too expensive. Anyone know about them or others that are good?

Breathable Emerger Stocking-Foot Waders: Breathable at L.L.Bean
Fishing Waders / Silver Label² Stockingfoot Waders -- Orvis
Sorry, I can't comment on the products.

Quote:
Is it useful to have pockets or anything built into the waders, or do you just use your vest?
The only pocket that I care about is the flip out pocket. I don't like to wear a vest, so I minimalize my load. How I carry my goods is the topic for another thread.

Quote:
Lastly, I am 6'1" and skinny and there aren't any wader sizes that fit me perfectly, but that's not a problem, right? It's OK if they are a little loose?
You could probably fit into a long length wader in most major brands. What is important is that you have room for the layering that will be required and for freedom of movement. Your waders should fit loose.

If you go out to try on waders, bring your layering (base layer and fleece layer) and socks that you plan on using for the coldest day that you will be fishing. If you don't have layering, plan on buying some. By doing this you will get a better sense on how well your wader system (layers, socks, and waders) fits.

MP
Old 04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FliFysh,

The kind of waders you get are not as important as getting the right fit with the waders and the boot. This is especially true if you hike any distance to the water or along a river. Waders that are too loose are much better than too tight. You should be able to raise your knee up into your chest with out the behind being too tight. You should be able to kneel down with ease. If the waders are too tight you will put undue strain on the seams.

You should go to a store and try on waders and boots that you are interesting in. Boots can be too tight also. You should be able to lace up the boot over the wader with not too much of a gap in the top of the boot. You need rood in the toe for socks and waders. If you have a fly shop any where close that is were you should go first. They will know what is a good fit.

Also make sure you get a wadding belt to seal the waders so they can't fill
with water. A web belt is the best.

Frank
Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

As I age I find that conveniences are more important now. I've recently decided that my next pair of waders will have a zipper down the front so as to save time from removing my rain jacket, vest, belt, undo my suspenders to heed natures call. When I noticed how an older fishing buddy called it a day for some GI issues I noted how many steps I take just to micturate. I also am finding that some companies are now accomodating the size of the neoprene booties and thick socks into the sizing of their boots(LL Bean). Thus you would order your size but the boots are intentionally sized as a wide EE for this purpose. Whatever you do don't even consider neoprene unless your a purist fishing with older bamboo, silk lines, etc... ;^)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:44 PM

FliFysh is on a distinguished road

UPDATE: My dad can spend $300 so I'm thinking $100-150 on shoes and $150-200 on waders.

I was browsing different shoes brands and they all look the same to me and are the same general price. What brands are better than others?

I only fish on days that end in Y.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
UPDATE: My dad can spend $300 so I'm thinking $100-150 on shoes and $150-200 on waders.

I was browsing different shoes brands and they all look the same to me and are the same general price. What brands are better than others?
Hi FliFysh

Boots are tough. Since your going to be spending the day in them I recommend trying them on first with your waders. They all fit a little different. Get a bad fit and it can ruin your fishing. Over the years I've had several brands. The ones I've liked have been Cabelas, Orvis and Simms. I just bought a new pair of Simms after sending back a new pair from Cabelas. What ever you go with makes sure you are comfortable in them.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures