The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Went to School Today (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/13260-went-school-today.html)

Tracker12 04-04-2010 08:09 PM

Went to School Today

Went up to Big Hunting Creek near Thurmont, MD yesterday for a day of fishing. First ime I have been there and still relatively new to trout fishing with the fly. Well I fished from 9-5 and was able to catch 3 nice rainbow and one brown. All fish were taken in the last two hours after I figured it out. Stream was low and clear and i took me sitting on the bank watching other fisherman to figure out the correct set-up and technique. You would have thought I caught the new state record when the first fish came to hand. It is a realitively small stream and I ended up having to sneak in on the fish and pretty much have to high stick it using a hares ear nymph. Can't wait to go back and see ho I can do the second time around.

mcnerney 04-04-2010 08:39 PM

Re: Went to School Today

Tracker12: Congrats on the break through, sometimes you can make significant strides by just taking a break and watching what the fish are doing or what other fly fisherman are doing.

Larry

Jimmie 04-04-2010 10:33 PM

Congrats Tracker12. A good day. Addictive, huh?

Hardyreels 04-04-2010 10:34 PM

The power of observation is one of your most valuable tools in this game.

Tracker12 04-05-2010 06:05 AM

Addictive is an understatement as is challenging and obsessed. Eight hours on the stream went by very quickly. The hard thing I am dealing with is every stream offers it's own unique situation. Leader length, what to tie on how to fish it. Some times I am a little overwhelmed.

HuronRiverDan 04-05-2010 07:12 AM

Tracker, it sounds like you're on the way... When you get to the stream sit down and watch what's going on as you rig up, rather then charging in...

Dan

Bigfly 04-05-2010 03:44 PM

Tracker, Dan's right. From the moment I park the truck, I'm open to SEE anything. In the air, on bushes, and in all parts of the water column. Seine the water every time you go, whether you fish or not. Get a temp as well. After a while you know what is normal on that water, so you can see the things that are new.
For me, that is when game really begins.
The critters live in the real world, and this is a way to join them temporarily.
A couple of days ago, I did the scene in "A river runs through it." A pair of copulating skwalla landed on my neck. WOOHOO. Worked like a charm.
May have to tye a double skwalla, never thought of that before. So it goes!
Slow down, look around, sit awhile. Then rig up. Oh, and fish close first. Lost count of the number of fish I've spooked charging in. (especially on small water.)
To me overwhelmed is preferable to underwhelmed. Good luck out there!
Jim

fishtacos 04-05-2010 05:25 PM

Doesn't really have much practical guidance but "Fly Fishing Through a Mid-Life Crisis" talks about fly fishing around the areas surrounding DC. Might be of some interest to you.

Tracker12 04-06-2010 06:16 AM

I'll check it out. Considering my age I probably qualify for a mid-life crisis. Then again I may have already went thru that stage. What comes next.