The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM

dresch is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 6 st 4-7 piece?

I am looking to buy a nine foot rod 6 weight 4-7 piece rod to take up as a backup rod with me to Yellowstone in September. Any ideas on one to get that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Somewhere between $200-$350 . Light-medium tip also.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice
Default Re: 6 st 4-7 piece?

I dig the Albright A5. I bought a 7wt and a 3wt. They are both 5pc. Dig 'em both - especially the 7wt. My gal caught her first fish with it recently. Problem is - they are out of stock on everything above 4wt. If you can find a used one go check it out for sure.

Click the image to open in full size.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

What do you fish with now? It might make a difference in a backup. Action wise is what I'm referring to.
Here's one to think about right on this site. 5w is plenty for Yellerstone.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...wt-7piece.html
Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Hardy/Greys dealer around you, cast the Greys Missionary 6 fly rod. Surprisingly, it doesn't feel stiff like a 6 piece rod. The 5 weight felt on the faster side of medium fast. The tip had good recovery when I bumped the line speed. Best of all, it retails for $250.

A price point rod series that has surprised me this season is the Classic Trout from Redington. This four piece rod has medium action to it that tosses dry flies and soft hackles nicely. The 6 weight will present a #22 midge to a #4 Stimulator softly, but it can nymph fish if needed to. If you run across a shop that carries one, try it out. The CT costs $160 in most shops, but it can be found at the forum sponsor, reelflyrod.com, for $129.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 04-08-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: added something
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Wink Re: 6 st 4-7 piece?

I am just thinking I should bring a 6 wt along with the 9 ft 4 wt I am taking.I have a 9ft 6wt in two piece but it is a hassle to try and bring that. Should I buy a 5wt. 4 piece and round out my rod selection. Thanks for your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If you have a Hardy/Greys dealer around you, cast the Greys Missionary 6 fly rod. Surprisingly, it doesn't feel stiff like a 6 piece rod. The 5 weight felt on the faster side of medium fast. The tip had good recovery when I bumped the line speed. Best of all, it retails for $250.

A price point rod series that has surprised me this season is the Classic Trout from Redington. This four piece rod has medium action to it that tosses dry flies and soft hackles nicely. The 6 weight will present a #22 midge to a #4 Stimulator softly, but it can nymph fish if needed to. If you run across a shop that carries one, try it out. The CT costs $160 in most shops, but it can be found at the forum sponsor, reelflyrod.com, for $129.

MP
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresch View Post
I am just thinking I should bring a 6 wt along with the 9 ft 4 wt I am taking.I have a 9ft 6wt in two piece but it is a hassle to try and bring that. Should I buy a 5wt. 4 piece and round out my rod selection. Thanks for your input.
Ahhh... The tackle dilemna. This can be harder than trying to figure out which golf clubs that you will need for the day. Will I need the driving iron, or should I have the rescue club?

It is nice having a 4, 5, and 6 weight rod. The spread gives you options on the presentations that you plan on doing for your trips. If that is what you are after, by all means, make it so.

Here is the reality. I like to consider a 5 weight a heavy 4 weight and a light 6 weight. It can do mostly what a 4 weight can do and mostly what a 6 weight can do. That is why that here in the West, a 9 foot 5 weight is the most versatile trout rod that one can buy.

Here is where the 6 weight will outperform a 5 weight. The 6 weight will have more backbone to subdue a fish faster. That is great for the catch and release aspect. It can throw larger wind resistant flies. If I recall correctly, Yellowstone in September still has some good hopper action. You will need a good delivery system for a #6 deerhair hopper. If you need to do some indo-bobber nymphing, the 6 weight will help you sling your rig more efficiently.

For your trip, you can do well with the 5 or the 6. What you will need to figure out is which rod weight will serve you the best for the fishing conditions that you will have.

MP
Old 04-08-2010, 02:43 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Fly Fishing Benefactors is having a special on their pack rods:

Fly Rods

Mt Pack Rod 9 Foot - 5-Weight - 7-Piece Fly Rod $159.00
San Juan 9 Foot - 5/6 Weight - 4-Piece Fly Rod $139.00
Temple Fork Outfitters - Project Healing Waters 9' 4-Piece - 5-Weight Fly Rod $149.95

All of Fly Fishing Benefactors Fly Rods are made of 45-Ton Modulus Carbon and sport premium hardware, including snake guides and reel seat lock-ups. Our grips are classic AAA Portuguese Cork and all our reel seats are premium wooden (Walnut) seats. Each of our rods comes with a quality rod sock and denier covered fly rod tube. Our rods are covered by a Limited Life-Time Warranty.

The Mt. Pack Rod is my back up and NO I don't get nothing for mentioning them. Since 2007 +90% of their profits goes to supporting Fly Fishing Projects such as Project Healing Waters. Besides getting a great pack-rod you help flyfishing in general. They sell other stuff as well. Their fly reels are also topnotch.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:54 PM

drnihili is on a distinguished road

If you decide that March Brown fits your needs, I'd be happy to work out a deal with you, Just drop me a PM.

That said, there's quite a bit of choice in the range you mention. It would help to know a bit more about what you're looking for. For example, you say 4-7 piece. Do you have a preference for closer to 4 or closer to 7, or does it not matter? What kind of action to you like? Do you want something that will fish a lot like what you already have in terms of action or something different? In either case, what rods do you have, or have tried that you liked? Do you want an all round rod or one that is geared more to a particular type of fishing?

4 piece rods are pretty common these days and there's a very wide selection of fine rods to choose from. Typical suggestions are TFO, Albright (ok, the A5 is a 5 piece), Greys, Redington, Echo, Orvis, etc. In your budget there's a LOT to choose from. So making the choice comes down to more specific factors.

If you prefer something closer to the 7 piece range there are still some fine rods, but the selection is slimmer. March Brown is highly rated in this camp, and I've heard good thing about the Orvis Missionary. Cabela's Stowaway gets mixed reviews, some people really like it, others not so much. Echo makes an 8 piece rod, but I haven't been able to find much about it, though as a brand Echo seems to be well liked.

In your shoes, I might consider going for a 5 wt, closer to the 7 piece end of the spectrum. You've already got a 4 and a 6 at home for fishing. A 5 wt. travel rod would give you a single rod that was easy to keep in the car/backpack/briefcase etc. for either spontaneous fishing or trips. As MP pointed out, the 5wt is very versatile, so if you can only keep a single rod handy, or your luggage only admits of one rod, a 5 is a good choice. Of course this assumes that you travel or have a lifestyle in which you might just spontaneously decide to stop the car and fish that stream. That may be way off.

What kind of fishing do you do when not in Yellowstone? WIll you get a chance to visit other places nearby on your Yellowstone trip, e.g. Henry's Fork, or is this more of a family camping trip that your hoping to sneak in a little time at the lake/stream on?
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Smile Re: 6 st 4-7 piece?

Thanks to everybody giving me great input. Just starting out again after a lot of years of not fly fishing it is almost like starting out again. All my old gear was pretty outdated,fenwick glass rods or old bambo ones. What I am taking with me sofar is an 8'6" orvis silver label in 4wt. I also have a sage vps 590 5wt graphite two piece which will be staying home. I think I said it was a 6wt by mistake. So I think a 6-7 wt would fill the group out just about right. Where I will be fishing most of the time will be up in the Calif. sierras being I have a cabin up there. There are 4 or five decent size rivers to fish but nothing like the Yellowtone or Madison. Also may fish small feeder streams that would probably be called creeks. I am hoping this Yellowstone trip will get me started again and I will be fishing larger rivers on trips' The reason I want to by a bigger rod is for nymphing thinking my four wt. is too small for that and the larger fish. I am staying in West Yellowstone and will do most of my fishing close buy but I will be taking side trips up to maybe two hours away.
This web site is great and all the different input I have read is incredible. Guys and girls who love to hunt and fish are some of the best people I have ever met. But every once in a while -------
Old 04-09-2010, 06:08 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresch View Post
Thanks to everybody giving me great input. Just starting out again after a lot of years of not fly fishing it is almost like starting out again. All my old gear was pretty outdated,fenwick glass rods or old bambo ones. What I am taking with me sofar is an 8'6" orvis silver label in 4wt. I also have a sage vps 590 5wt graphite two piece which will be staying home. I think I said it was a 6wt by mistake. So I think a 6-7 wt would fill the group out just about right. Where I will be fishing most of the time will be up in the Calif. sierras being I have a cabin up there. There are 4 or five decent size rivers to fish but nothing like the Yellowtone or Madison. Also may fish small feeder streams that would probably be called creeks. I am hoping this Yellowstone trip will get me started again and I will be fishing larger rivers on trips' The reason I want to by a bigger rod is for nymphing thinking my four wt. is too small for that and the larger fish. I am staying in West Yellowstone and will do most of my fishing close buy but I will be taking side trips up to maybe two hours away.
This web site is great and all the different input I have read is incredible. Guys and girls who love to hunt and fish are some of the best people I have ever met. But every once in a while -------
No such thing as an outdated Fenwick glass rods. You'll get your heiney kicked for that comment