The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:08 PM

troutbound is on a distinguished road
Default casting problems

I've been fly fishing for a number of years, but not real good at it. I have a new fly rod 9 ft. 5/6 wt. I ordered Cortland 333 Rocket Tip WF5F. I have some 3X leaders from a few years ago. I also tied on some 3X tippet. My problem is I can only cast out about 15 yds. including the 9 ft. leader. I also have some 5x tippet that I forgot to take. Do you suppose that the 3x is my problem. The line, leader, tippet and fly just pile up. I'm not sure of the name of the fly or the size but I caught 12 small Bluegill. I still had fun but it's disappointing. My old 8 ft. rod I can cast way out there. Any ideas?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casting problems

Your old rod might be slower action rod than the new rod and you might be having a timing issue with the fast rod action. If you have a local fly shop or fly club around I'd recommend getting someone to look at how you are casting, it is hard to give advice without knowing the rod models and seeing what is going on. Something else that you might be interested in is looking at this thread on taming the wind. Prescott Smith advocates using a cast where you are not intentionally stopping on the backcast and forward cast, but rather throwing a small arc in the cast to keep in constant contact with the line and double hauling to really shoot the line out.
Taming The Wind

Another idea that might help is to get on YouTube and doing a search for fly casting. There are some excellent videos on you tube that teach fly casting. Here is an excellent video by Tim Landwehr on fly casting:
YouTube- Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 1
YouTube- Tight Lines-Learning to Fly Cast Part 2
Good luck!

Larry
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Try going to one of those fly fishing schools... Great food, Good Company, Beautiful Location, Fishing, Relaxing, you learn a lot about fly fishing....
and they can probably help your casting too. LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 PM

mrpro is on a distinguished road

I think mcnerney has hit the nail on the head, you are just mistiming it due to being use to your old action. keep at it, it will come.

The only other thing I could think of is that you may have the wrong size line in your new rod. Is it possible you have a 6/7 wt rod, most of my 9'6 rods are 6/7.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

TB,

As has been said, this is not an easy topic to discuss or solve in a short form text. There are innumerable books and video sources out there to aid in understanding the actual physics of the fly cast. It is in fact a matter of theoretical physics put into motion that results in what we think of as a really good cast and subsequent delivery of leader and fly as we intend.

You can read, view, attend a casting clinic, or simply just keep pounding away at it. I urge you to use any and all resources at your disposal if you desire to improve.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi troutbound,

I really want to know is what rod are you having the problem with and what rod did you do well with? What is the make, length and wt of each?

Frank
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 PM

troutbound is on a distinguished road

Frank
My old rod was a 5/6 8 footer Bass Pro Brand. I've had it forever. Anyway, while at the Bass Pro in Broken Arrow Oklahoma last weekend (on my way to the rattlesnake roundup) I talked with a fella that has been fly fishing since the 40's. I explained my problem with him and he simply said that my leader and tippet was to stiff. he told me to try a 5x or 6x leader. I bought a Orvis 6x and my problem was solved. I am casting much better now. He said that the 3x that I was using was better suited for bass and the like. If any of you still have suggestions I will welcome them. Thank You all.