The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM

phnix5888 is on a distinguished road
Default rod damage question

hey guys i was looking at my rod the other day getting it ready for the season and when i looke at the but section of my rod i noticed some cracks around the ferall about four or five a few look like they might go all the way through there are also a few at the top of the mid section are these something i should be worried about?
Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Re: rod damage question

Try take it to someone who builds rods... if it is something you need to worry about, they can probably fix it.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What Stan said.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

thats a great idea unfortunately i dont know anyone in my area who repairs rods or even builds themso... do any of the builders on here think that maybe using some epoxy on the outside of the ferral would stop any further cracking?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

First, have you examined the cracks with a magnifier? Something on the order of a 10X lope is what I'm suggesting. Secondly, I am assuming these are linear cracks and not the circumference cracks that are common with both flex coated and varnished Ferrell windings. If the cracks are superficial stress to the surface of the female Ferrel a light coat of flex coat may solve the issue.

If the cracks are deep then if it were my rod and if it were not covered by an unconditional guarantee, I would dress the Ferrell with a wrap that would match the other windings on the rod, then flex coat and hope to get some more use out of it.

The only rod I have ever had that exhibited the type damage you describe was a second hand Thomas & Thomas 9' 7wt. I returned the rod after finding the cracks. The cause, in my opinion could be one of two things; 1. fitting the rod together too tightly 2. continuing to fish while not realizing that the Ferrel joint was loose. Either of these practices could result in this type of stress and cracking.

Hope this helps with sorting out some thoughts,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 PM

yes it does and these cracks are linear that is traveling down the rod and ive had this rod for a very long time its the only rod i own and was my first it is a pfleuger 5/6 that came in my flyfishing starter kit i got many moons ago it has spent the better part of two years hanging horzontaly fully assembled in my garage. i will have to take a look at the cracks more closely none of them are more than an eighth of an inch long id say
Old 04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I'll wait to hear back from you.....................

Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 PM

took a look and they dont appear to be that deep so ill probably try your suggestion hardy i have some two part epoxy here at the house would that be ok to use or do i need something else?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

Here is a nice article on the repair process,
Build a rod, 4 - Part 4: Preparing for the coating process and coating the wrappings - Global FlyFisher

I'll let Hardy cover the epoxy question. Hope this helps let us know how it goes.

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Administrator

If you have not done this yet hold on there......... I am not an expert at rod repair but since we are talking about a ferrule repair I would use Flex Coat. I say this based solely on the name of the product and what that name implies. (Flex)

If you use a general purpose two part epoxy it will no doubt seal the topical cracking that you have however if the material is of the sort that will cure to a 'Hard" finish surface it too may crack due to the constant flexing of the substrate you have applied it too. If you only have one or two cracks I might try the epoxy by applying it only to the crack, make the application linear right on the crack. If you have multiple cracks and plan to coat the outside circumference area of the rod then you may experience the cracking of the epoxy that I have mentioned.

If you are going to coat the whole area you will need to set yourself up with a rack of some sort that will support the rod section in a horizontal position and allow it to turn / rotate freely. Depending on the time needed for the Flex Coat to set up and your dedication to the project, you can turn the rod by hand............. slowly, about 3 - 4 revolutions per minute is ideal. Most of us who have dressed rods in the past have a small electric motor that takes care of this for us but for a one time fix you can do it by hand. Plan on at least half an hour if you use light coats. I would not recommend a heavy coat for two reasons, 1. it will take over an hour to set up (if you stop rotating the rod too soon you will have a sag, resulting in a lump) 2. The idea is to fill the cracks and hopefully stop them from becoming extended further.

I wish you well with this problem,

Ard